Need help deciding. Particle board or plywood?

The chances of being able to get void free plywood (the void free part is what makes the most difference to keep there from being air pockets in the material that will ring and is really more important with midrange cabinets) in a town where you can't get MDF are somewhere between zero and a negative number.

Getting a box built to spec and shipped to you is probably the best bet. That or bite the bullet and spend the $6 on gas for the Prius and take a drive.

You can use particle board for a low power system with no worries. Just mix fiberglass resin and coat the inside with a thin layer. And clear coat the outside very well, to keep it from coming apart from moisture. You must brace it well, though.

If you can get BC or AC pine, you can use 21/32 to make your box. It is stonger than MDF, and finishes almost as nice as birch, with close to the same price. Do NOT use sheathing grade plyboard, or decking sheets.

If there is a HomeDepot or Lowe's 1.5 hours away, just drive up there with plans. Their panel saw will cut it faster than you can and straighter I imagine. You can't get seen giving them a tip, but it's a GREAT idea;)

That is probably the best idea, just use it as an excuse to carry your wife out to the city for dinner. You get a box AND sexxed up.

Birch plywood it is! thanks for all your responses, it's really appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Birch plywood it is! thanks for all your responses, it's really appreciated //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Best of luck man!!!!!!! nevermind the jackass's with the snide comments!!!! they have no life and obviously very little people skills!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.