Need Help - 1-ohm or 4-ohm Sub with 2-ohm Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Cephyr13

I'm not very knowledgeable on stereos or speakers, so I could use some advice.

I have an Audiobahn A4004T 4ch amp (specs here: A4004T). I am trying to decide which sub to use: A 1-ohm Kicker or a 4-ohm Kicker.

I'm wanting to use 2 channels on the amp for the components, at 2 ohms, and hopefully give them enough power, and I want to use the other 2 channels for the sub. I don't understand ohms very well, but it seems that if I go with the 1-ohm sub, I'll have a louder sub (which is good). If I go with the 4-ohm sub from a 2-ohm amp, I'm thinking it'll be very quiet.

Which sub would you recommend--the 1-ohm or 4-ohm? And why?

Also, the Audiobahn manual says I can put a sub on the 2nd and 4th channels, I think, and keep my current 4-channel (50 watts RMS per channel) for the components. However, a stereo shop owner told me this would cause all kinds of problems. Comments?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

- Brian

I'm not very knowledgeable on stereos or speakers, so I could use some advice.
Which sub would you recommend--the 1-ohm or 4-ohm? And why?

Also, the Audiobahn manual says I can put a sub on the 2nd and 4th channels, I think, and keep my current 4-channel (50 watts RMS per channel) for the components. However, a stereo shop owner told me this would cause all kinds of problems. Comments?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

- Brian
As stated, you cant run that amp at 1ohm or even 2ohm bridged. the 4ohm will work best because you will be bridging 2 channels, which makes 1 4ohm stable channel. You can then use the other 2 channels for your components.

as far as what channel to put your sub on, you can do it bridged on either 1 & 2 or 3 & 4. Those groupings are the only way to do it since your amp allows you to tune those groups of channels.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll bridge channels 3 & 4 with the 4 ohm sub.

With that configuration, would I use 2 ohms or 4 ohms out of the amp?

Also, is there an adjustment on the amp to change the ohm load, or does the amp automatically put out the right ohms per the way I wire up the speaker?

- Brian

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.