Need a recone on a HDD 15 inch tantric sub.

ptcruiser07
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
TX
I just found tantric went outa biz. Can any one help me out with a recone. I got these subs off of a tantric rep on caraudio(not gona say names) not knowing i would be fucked for a recone when i payed 800$ for 2 used subs i knew would need a recone one day.. Am i fucked or can some one still hook me up with a drop in recone for say 150$?

So your saying im fucked then? From what i understand only a few people know how to make a recone for a tantric sub and its not cheap. I bought these subs thinking i had a woofer i could keep alive for a long time.

So your saying im fucked then? From what i understand only a few people know how to make a recone for a tantric sub and its not cheap. I bought these subs thinking i had a woofer i could keep alive for a long time.
not many people can build a PROPER woofer. voice coils you can buy aren't necessarily designed for that motor and vice verser. PSI might beable to get you something that works well but to say just drop a common shelf coil in and it will kick *** IS HIGHLY unlikely. if you rather do it yourself i can help point you in the right direction..

Yes i am at the point i feel like i want to learn how to do it my self. I honestly feel like i wasted 800$ if i dont. I had a pair of 15 inch cerwinvega strokers the old school ones "not to old" that took well over 2k each and they lasted me 5 years, these subs did not even do 3 years. BTW the cerwinvegas needed milling to get a recone done so that was a no go...shipping alone killed that. my cerwin vega strokers were 600 each brand new i got stuck with used subs for 400 each that died on me.. If you can give me a lil advice I think i can manage a recone from ground up.

They have the time baskets? If you measure the top plate height the outside diameter on the tyoke and the inside diameter on the top plate.. also you need to give me an idea on what type of driver you want what type of response you want power levels every detail you can imagine.. I have a parameter measuring tool. I'd say send them to me and I'll build you some but it's gonna cost you a ton to ship and to do something custom to what you want would more than likely take more than one try. Although I'm positive I can get you very close its to hard to say without knowing details..

I will get back to you on that I have to ask Jim these subs were made for him not me... I never thought i bought subs that would be hard to get reconed ;-/ the only reason i got them was the fact i thought jim would be able to get me recone kits np./.. ATM jim kinda told me sry u wasted 800$ try face book... It makes me sick thinking about it,..why did you sell me subs you knew i could not get a recone for in 2 years? You worked for tantric????

I will get back to you on that I have to ask Jim these subs were made for him not me... I never thought i bought subs that would be hard to get reconed ;-/ the only reason i got them was the fact i thought jim would be able to get me recone kits np./.. ATM jim kinda told me sry u wasted 800$ try face book... It makes me sick thinking about it,..why did you sell me subs you knew i could not get a recone for in 2 years? You worked for tantric????
Psi can recone them. Iamsonic can,Jeff hulbert can find parts. Any company could really find parts to build them if they wanted to.

And I bet Jim sick you clipped his old woofer to death.. how was he to know you would abuse them and need recones. I have woofers 10years old without needed recones.

You have been given bad information here. Those Tantric subs are nothing special that will require unique parts to perform as though they were new. When you use a motor that big, you pretty much throw in the biggest coil that'll fit, make a stiff suspension, and make sure everything is properly aligned and glue joints are strong. Sure you'll get some TS parameter variance, but the huge motor is just so strong that it will dominate how it performs to the point where slight variances due to different coils (within reason) won't be very dramatic or possibly not noticeable at all.

Get yourself some calipers to take some measurements of the gap and pole piece height (or better yet, dimensions of the old coil) and you can begin shopping around for a coil. From there suspension and cone will make even less difference.

You have been given bad information here. Those Tantric subs are nothing special that will require unique parts to perform as though they were new. When you use a motor that big, you pretty much throw in the biggest coil that'll fit, make a stiff suspension, and make sure everything is properly aligned and glue joints are strong. Sure you'll get some TS parameter variance, but the huge motor is just so strong that it will dominate how it performs to the point where slight variances due to different coils (within reason) won't be very dramatic or possibly not noticeable at all.Get yourself some calipers to take some measurements of the gap and pole piece height (or better yet, dimensions of the old coil) and you can begin shopping around for a coil. From there suspension and cone will make even less difference.

The HDD has a huge motor? I always thought it was medium size

this is in no way mylows fault, do you think he knew tantric was going to go out of business a couple years after he sold his subs to you?

There are plenty of places you can get recones from.

Your old strokers probably weren't really getting 2000 watts a piece either, so they lasted 5 years.

The HDD has a huge motor? I always thought it was medium size

For the sake of my point, yeah, they're huge. Compare to more sane sized 700-1000W sub, TC9, Dayton Titanic, Alpine Type R, Sundown SA series, etc. Going even smaller it becomes much more of a factor. Picture a pie chart of all the variables that make one sub different from the next and as you go from Funky Pup to DD-Z it becomes more and more of a percentage of that pie. Add that to the fact that those big boy subs almost always use a very stiff suspension pretty much any of these wind up performing pretty much the same and following the same philosophy.

What you don't really see is how little you begin to gain after a certain point. So take a 4hp or Shocker Sig size motor, add an extra 10" X 1" slug and you gain very little extra flux in the gap compared to the extra size/cost/weight you just added.

And who knows how much Murphy actually did as far as engineering whatsoever? I can tell you from all the big motor subs I've built and then pulled specs from, you have to get really extreme with variance in softparts and coils to wind up with spec differences that you'll really hear. Face it, OP isn't looking for sound quality with a 4000W sub stage.

Can any one give me a name of some one that can get me recones? every one is saying people do it but I have not got one who said they can or will do it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.