Need ~ 80w x 2 in the $200-$350 range

The pre-2000 "Tube Drivers" were not the original Butler designed Tube Driver 1500 amps., they were Phase Audio/Precision Power copies. Butler places a disclaimer on their website pertaining to this. Very, very few of the original Butler "Tube Driver 1500" amps sold in 1996, before licensing out to Phase Audio in 1997. In 1998, Phase bought PPI and PPI introduced the Tube Driver amp line without the original Butler designs and were just using the name "Tube Driver" from the original Butler designed Tube Driver 1500's. After he got back the rights to his amp design in 2000, Butler introduces the re-designed and improved Tube Driver Blue in 2001.
I am not trying to dissuade you from purchasing a PPI amp called a "Tube Driver", but if you are thinking about owning a true Butler designed tube amp, Search for one of the very rare 1996 Tube Driver 1500 models (G/L with that) or the post 2000 Tube Driver Blue amps.
Thanks for that info! I found a lot of information on them last night in this thread here:Butler ? Tube Driven amp/s For free. - diyAudio

Quite an interesting story in the thread also.

So basically a Butler Tube Driver and a PPI/Phaze amp have not much in common except the name?

Butler Audio

The introduction of the original Tube Driver 1500 in 1996 began a new era of tube-driven amplification for cars. Shortly after the first production models were shipped, a group of veteran mobile sound professionals from Rockford Fosgate, PPI and others, joined to form a new company named Phaze Audio. At this time, Butler Audio was approached with the idea that it would produce the TubeDriver amplifiers and Phaze Audio would market and sell them. Butler Audio initially granted Phaze Audio an exclusive license for marketing and distribution of the Butler Audio line of TubeDriver amplifiers. In the late fall of 1997, Phaze Audio was also granted a manufacturing license to produce TubeDriver amplifiers.

In 1998, Phaze Audio saw a great opportunity for accelerated market expansion and purchased Precision Power, Inc. (PPI). After the acquisition, Phaze Audio/PPI decided to re-design the original Butler Audio TubeDriver amplifiers. In 1999, PPI came out with a line of amplifiers with tubes bearing the trademark "TubeDriver"; however, they are not BK Butler/Butler Audio designs and do not share in his original patented technology.

Phaze Audio/PPI was purchased in late 1999, temporarly ending all further TubeDriver brand production and sales. Shortly after this, in early 2000, BK Butler reclaimed all of his rights pertaining to TubeDriver. With a clean slate, BK Butler began an all-new design that would ultimately incorporate his newly discovered Tube Driver BLUE thermionic technology.

I'm installing a pair of Focal 165 V30s in my Dodge Ram Megacab. They're rated at 80W RMS, so I figure something in the 75-100W RMS range is where my target should be.
There are just SO many brands and models out there these days. Just looking for a 2-channel amp, in the $200-$350 range. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, just the best value for the money.

I've heard of the typical household name brands, but I don't want something overrated (not watts, namesake) either.

Any recommendations for this setup? Thank you.
i have a us acoustics usx2080. 2x80 @ 4 ohm on 12v. THD of .0015%...zed audio designed. made in the us.. OS beauty.

...and, thanks to the rest of you for the other options! I think that for now I'm going to roll with that JBL GTO I just bought for $100 until I can get a bit more educated on some things; or, if I just plain don't like it. I think it should at least be a good "hold me over" amp...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.