Nakamichi cd-400

outbacksport
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
S Cal
Has anyone heard or know somebody with this new nakamichi product.

CD400, the latest product in Nakamichi's line of Mobile Sound System , receives Design and Engineering Showcase Award at the 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show.

This revolutionary head unit represents a radical departure from the industry norm as it delivers true audiophile-sound quality, available for the first time from Nakamichi at an affordable price.

The CD-400 incorporates state-of-the-art 24-bit digital-to-analog converters - an advanced technology application unheard of before in the mid-price range. The result - audibly superior musical reproduction!

Reading this from their website makes me think twice in purchasing an

Alpine 9813. I know there were problems with the CD45z, don't know though

if they fixed everything on the cd-400. I have to go to a nakamichi dealer and

audition on this particular HU.

Nakamichi CD-400 with 24 bit d/a converter = $449.00

Alpine CDA-7990 with 24 bit d/a = $3,000.00

Why does alpine uses 1 bit in the rest of the line? Does anyone understand

the technology their using with their d/a converters? All i know the more the bits

the better sq you get. Any comments and suggestions gladly appreciated.

Thanks.

Originally posted by outbacksport All i know the more the bits the better sq you get.
Actually, that's not necessarily true. The number of bits doesn't always mean better SQ, or vice versa. Nak decks have awesome sound quality, but the build quality has been questionable. Not many people have the new CD400 and CD500 units, so the jury is still kinda out on them.

Originally posted by outbacksport Has anyone heard or know somebody with this new nakamichi product.

CD400, the latest product in Nakamichi's line of Mobile Sound System , receives Design and Engineering Showcase Award at the 2003 International Consumer Electronics Show.

This revolutionary head unit represents a radical departure from the industry norm as it delivers true audiophile-sound quality, available for the first time from Nakamichi at an affordable price.

The CD-400 incorporates state-of-the-art 24-bit digital-to-analog converters - an advanced technology application unheard of before in the mid-price range. The result - audibly superior musical reproduction!

Reading this from their website makes me think twice in purchasing an

Alpine 9813. I know there were problems with the CD45z, don't know though

if they fixed everything on the cd-400. I have to go to a nakamichi dealer and

audition on this particular HU.

Nakamichi CD-400 with 24 bit d/a converter = $449.00

Alpine CDA-7990 with 24 bit d/a = $3,000.00

Why does alpine uses 1 bit in the rest of the line? Does anyone understand

the technology their using with their d/a converters? All i know the more the bits

the better sq you get. Any comments and suggestions gladly appreciated.

Thanks.
IF the # of bits in the dacs are important to you, you could always buy a clarion. They have been using 24 bit dacs for a while(although I really don't think the # of bits in a dac are something I look for when choosing a head unit). Eclipse's dual 1 bit design has worked very well for many years, for example.

awalbert88, you're right.....they sound good but has problems in build quality.

i'm still confused on the bit technology, i guess each manufacturer has their

own design/technology in their products. I just assumed that the more bits the better

the sq like on the high end home audio.

JLCivic, that's right clarion makes 24 bit HU's, saw it in the crutchfield catalog.

And yes the eclipse HU's sound great and their only 1 bit.

Wareagle72, how many preamp output does the cd-400 have?

Does it have an cd changer controls? What tweaking can you do with

the deck? I have to hear this deck before i decide in getting my HU.

What speakers, amps hooked up with your HU. Enjoy your new Nak.

I will need to check the # of outputs it has. I want to say it has a set for the front, rear & sub (i know it has one for the sub). It is supposed to have CD changer controls via the "source" button. By pushing it you can change betweeen CD, FM and AUX. I assume AUX as the changer control. I had a CD-45z before so I already knew that I was going to get another Nak. I have only had the unit installed a few days, so I have not even read the manual (I had a lot of yard work to do this weekend)

Set Up:

Nak CD-400

CDT CL 61a (front components) to be purchased this week

Infinity Kappa 6.5 2-way for rear fill (already purchased and sitting in a box)

JBL 300.1 amp for the sub (shopping around for it)

IDQ D4 v.2 10" sub (waiting to be installed)

Amp for the front and rear fill????? I have a Sony 50 x 4 that I could install for now to help with the costs, but I am looking at some US Acoustic stuff.

I will say this about the Nak. Very plain looking!! Almost stock except for the color of the unit is more "black" than the interior of my vehicle (99 Chevy Tahoe w/ grey leather). The feel of the unit is great. When you push the buttons they feel very solid and the removable face plate does not move, creak, wiggle or give off any indication that it is a removable face plate.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by outbacksport awalbert88, you're right.....they sound good but has problems in build quality.

i'm still confused on the bit technology, i guess each manufacturer has their

own design/technology in their products. I just assumed that the more bits the better

the sq like on the high end home audio.

JLCivic, that's right clarion makes 24 bit HU's, saw it in the crutchfield catalog.

And yes the eclipse HU's sound great and their only 1 bit.

Wareagle72, how many preamp output does the cd-400 have?

Does it have an cd changer controls? What tweaking can you do with

the deck? I have to hear this deck before i decide in getting my HU.

What speakers, amps hooked up with your HU. Enjoy your new Nak.
I think the nak cd400 has 3 sets of rcas, but I am not sure if it has a separate sub level control. YOu can see pics/specs on http://www.nakusa.com I believe. I have always wanted to hear a Nak, but as to some of the complaints I had seen on forums regarding reliability, only time will tell, I guess. I do like the look of them too.

wareagle72,

Where did you purchase it? Online or local shop? How much?

So, how do you like it so far... any problems?

How do you have it setup? any external amps, subs, x-overs, etc...

Sorry if too many questions... Need a deck... been waiting for 6 mos...

sjsfiji:)

I bought it online (Ebay) for $329. Had it installed at a local shop.

I love it. It is very plain looking, but that is what I want. The feel of the unit is great.

Right now I am using the HU to power my stock components and a set of Infinity Kappas in the rear. My amp (Soundstream MC 245) is not hooked up yet. Trying to decide on some new front components (I am leaning towards the CDT HD's) and my IDQ 10" is not hooked up either. Just started this project, so I am a little behind.

I do not think you can go wrong with this unit. I had the CD-45z before this and like this unit a lot better. So far it has played every CDR I have put in it.

Hope this helps

BV

wareagle72,

How do you like it so far... any probs? Where did you buy it?

I too have soundstream amps, a SS sub, and 4 naks speakers... so i think this HU would be great...

Those CDRs you're playing are copied right??? From MP3s to from bought CDs...

thanks,

sjsfiji

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.