Nail gun in palce of screws?

OMG, this is such an incredible amount of insight. I alway did 2.5-3" screws and almost no glue to hold boxes together. It works and the caulk inside makes it airtight, but glue is cheaper than screws and a lot faster.

The glue provides the strength and you're supposed to seal the inside corners with silicone caulking to prevent leaks ...
Doesn't silicone release a chemical that eats foam surrounds if you put the sub in before its finished curing?

i've always glued the box, screwed it together, and then caulked the inside. i wouldn't feel comfortable using nails, but thats just my opinion.

Nail (finish nailer) or staple gun will be fine as long as you use glue too. There is glue on the fastener clips that will help holding power not as good as screws, but good enough.

I built a custom panel fence for a guy about 2 years ago and without going into alot of detail it was made to withstand 50 mph winds and block out traffic noise. Anyway I put the whols thing together with finishing nails and liquid nails. No screws. that is by far the stgongest wodden fence I have ever seen

I have been building boxes for 5 years and I have always used Tite Bond and 18 gauge 1 1/2 inch brad nails to do everything. None of my boxes have ever blown apart and a brad nailer will cut build time virtually in half. I can build a ported enclosure for (2) 12's in about 2.5 - 3 hours it just depends on what kind of cuts I have to make.

Hmm, I need to buy a nail gun ****it. Brad nailer = SO MUCH FECKING EASIER.

I hate having to hold the corners together, try to clamp it, then predrill and screw, then take it apart, glue it, back together, screw and dry.

The only DISADVANTAGE I could see with using this method is that if your cuts aren't straight, it may not **** in the gaps like screws do.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif my thread became uber popular... but thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif now I know I can use a nail gun.. I was dreading having to screw it all together //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif woulda taken a while.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

LightningStryk7

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
LightningStryk7
Colorado
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date