My new JL 12w6v2

JL for Life!!
10+ year member

I recently purchased a new JL Audio 12w6v2 and have it powered by an Alpine MRP-M1000. When I turn the volume up, I start smelling something coming from the woofer. It smells like a hot, electrical type smell, but there's no smoke. My question is, does anyone know where the smell is coming from and what the reason could be?

Thanks sobe3yourself, I thought that might be the problem. I was just worried because I just blew a voice coil in my w3 and it smelled similar. dragnix, I just found this website and decided to use it, I wasn't really paying attention to where I posted my question. Live and learn I guess.

the gain and bass boost was about 3/4 to max, but I backed the gain back to about half.
You should not use any more than 1/3 of the bass boost. The boost requires a crap load of power and uses up most of the amp's

head room and will cause it to clip like a mo-fo.

I ran a 12w6v2 for a few years on an MTX 81000d with out issue so they can take the power, you just have to keep it clean.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.