My lights dim when I put up my music. Need Advice

blazian87
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have an optima yellow top right now and a 165amp high output alternator with the big 3 done with 1/0 gauge wire. It was an OEM alternator for my car that was modified to go higher. I can't fit any of the beefy aftermarket ones so I'm left with upgrading my battery. I want to go with the XS D5100 battery because that's the only one that can fit under my hood. I'm running an Audioque AQ2200 amp and running parallel at 1 ohms. Would this XS battery be sufficient in not making my lights dim? Will running a 2nd battery in the trunk be a big advantage or will it strain my electrical even more? What if I decide to upgrade to a 3500w amp? I would rather not buy a 2nd battery for the trunk but if it makes a significant difference in how it performs, then I'm open to the idea.

I have an optima yellow top right now and a 165amp high output alternator with the big 3 done with 1/0 gauge wire. It was an OEM alternator for my car that was modified to go higher. I can't fit any of the beefy aftermarket ones so I'm left with upgrading my battery. I want to go with the XS D5100 battery because that's the only one that can fit under my hood. I'm running an Audioque AQ2200 amp and running parallel at 1 ohms. Would this XS battery be sufficient in not making my lights dim? Will running a 2nd battery in the trunk be a big advantage or will it strain my electrical even more? What if I decide to upgrade to a 3500w amp? I would rather not buy a 2nd battery for the trunk but if it makes a significant difference in how it performs, then I'm open to the idea.
What kind of car do you have?

Use the search button first we really get tired of answering the same questions 10 times a day...nit tryin to be a prick .jus sayin
Why post then?

In hopes that he would listen and search for the answers he looking for before we have 20 of the same threads a day
Oooh, I didn't know you were a mod.

How about you give some of your ******** advice & try to answer his question and stop playing "rent a mod"

Oooh, I didn't know you were a mod.How about you give some of your ******** advice & try to answer his question and stop playing "rent a mod"
Wasnt trying to be a mod at all just tell him he can find out alotbof info by searching rather than waiting days like some ppl do so take ur 9 posts and gfy

I did use the search function and didn't find the answers I was looking for. I've already done a lot of reading which is why I got a HO alternator and big 3 with 0 gauge done. I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla. My optima yellow top is already getting old and I can tell my amp is asking for more sometimes. My volt meter rests at 12.2 when not revving it. At high volumes it can go as low as 11.6, even touching 11.3 sometimes. I only notice lights dim when I've been driving for about an hour. I do a lot of commuting for long periods of time so I notice it usually after driving for a while. I don't have a dedicated volt meter, I just have the SMD VM-1 that plugs into my cigarette lighter.

I'm already planning to buy the XS D5100 so things should get better from there. I just want to know if its necessary to add a 2nd battery in the trunk. I might think about upgrading to a 3500W amp next year if I have the money but for now I'm sticking with this 2200w amp for a while. I notice people with high power systems have a big battery bank. I don't typically play music while my car is off so I'm just wondering if it'll make any significant difference in adding more batteries. Will it be more strainful on my alternator because it'll be charging two batteries at once?

I did use the search function and didn't find the answers I was looking for. I've already done a lot of reading which is why I got a HO alternator and big 3 with 0 gauge done. I have a 2004 Toyota Corolla. My optima yellow top is already getting old and I can tell my amp is asking for more sometimes. My volt meter rests at 12.2 when not revving it. At high volumes it can go as low as 11.6, even touching 11.3 sometimes. I only notice lights dim when I've been driving for about an hour. I do a lot of commuting for long periods of time so I notice it usually after driving for a while. I don't have a dedicated volt meter, I just have the SMD VM-1 that plugs into my cigarette lighter.
I'm already planning to buy the XS D5100 so things should get better from there. I just want to know if its necessary to add a 2nd battery in the trunk. I might think about upgrading to a 3500W amp next year if I have the money but for now I'm sticking with this 2200w amp for a while. I notice people with high power systems have a big battery bank. I don't typically play music while my car is off so I'm just wondering if it'll make any significant difference in adding more batteries. Will it be more strainful on my alternator because it'll be charging two batteries at once?
have you taken the batteries out to give them a trickle charge? you can't simply slap a battery in and rely on the alternator to charge it forever.

Adding a second battery always makes the alt work more. If you are planning on going bigger next year then you will want to add another bat in the trunk. With the car running you should be somewhere at 13 and change if not 14. if the optima is getting old it could be the problem.

You do realize that in a large majority of vehicles any voltage drop may/will dim your lights. Now in your case you do need a secondary battery to run that amp. You may also want to actually install a voltage meter since you are running a decent amount of power. You may also want to check out your ground and make sure it is done properly. If you want to run 3.5k I hope you understand that you will need more than one battery in the trunk and to not just build a giant band-aid in the back I would highly suggest a HO alternator.

Next time search lights dimming though because there are 1 billion of these threads.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.