My first loud System build. 2 12 z.3 sundowns on an exile x5

Participant count
  • Participant list

jockhater2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
1991 MKII Volkswagen VW Jetta 1.8L with pulley/belt swap (rebuilt motor and my winter car)

Also Upgraded rear springs off of a Passat B3/B5 to handle the weight.

VW JETTA has

Head Unit Kenwood KDC-X895

Front stage is garbage LOL (not stock, but still nothing special)

3 Runs of 1/0 Gauge OFC Power

3 Runs of 1/0 Gauge OFC Ground

No.1 Copper Bus Bars (99.7% + pureness)

1 XS Power D3400

2 XS Power XP3000

380 Amp Iraggi Alternator (14.7v cold and 14.5 hot) (For a 99-04 chevy)

Exile X5 Amplifier wired @ 1 ohm

2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 Subs (NS-2 Coils/Cones upgrade)

Birchwood box. Tuned Around 32-34 hertz. About 5-5.5 cubic feet

1 Layer of Dynamat in the trunk

1 layer of 8MM foam through out the whole car and in the trunk

Amp and head unit tuned with the SMD DD-1 (used maximum sound quality track)

Voltage never drops below 13.6 with the revs up on heavy bass.

Too fit the box. I literally had to hammer down the corners of my trunk. Sand the corners of the box. And hammer down some of the floor in the trunk. And remove the spare tire.

Video was filmed with a Canon 600d (60 FPS @ 720p) and we used an external mic

Songs

Lil Wyte Gun Down Ft. Frayser Boy and Partee

Album Still Doubted?

4's City by 4 Legacy

How Low Remix Ludacris

Volkswagen MkII Build pictures by jockhater2 - Photobucket

2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 subs on 5000 watts @ 1 ohm VW Jetta MKII 380 amp Alternator - YouTube

2 12 Sundown Z.3s on 5000 watts Volkswagen Jetta Ludacris How Low Remix - YouTube

2 12 inch Sundown Z.3 subwoofers on 5000 watts MKII Jetta Tuned with SMD DD-1 - YouTube

A big thanks to my buddy Damon for tapping the copper bars for me for free.

And to my job for giving me the copper for free.

Also to a huge thanks to @mylows10 and @keep_hope_alive @dbeez

Dbeez built my box. mylows and keep hope alive answered a ton of questions I had and helped me learn a lot through the whole project.

i have a 2000 MK4. How'd you make that alternator work? i have a big case 300 amp alternator for a 2.5 duratec motor..but idk how to make that work!

i have a 2000 MK4. How'd you make that alternator work? i have a big case 300 amp alternator for a 2.5 duratec motor..but idk how to make that work!
My buddy has the same. a 2000 MK4.

What motor do you have? Because I will tell you right now. If you have the VR6. You won't be putting anything custom in there because there is no room for it.

If you have the 1.8. You should be able to do what I did.

If you look through the photobucket link. There are pictures that show the alternator in there. If you want to see how I did it.

yea bro i have the vr6 theirs def no room...However i seen some HO alts for my application but there pricey!
Yeah. They are like $500 or 600 bucks. Thats why I went with the chevy alternator. It was $600 shipped for a 380A. It does about 180A @ 800RPMS and full amps @ 1800RPMS.

You can always make it work. But. On your car...it would definitely not be easy. All my buddy had to make for mine was these 2" long pieces of steel with 1 hole on each. But I have a lot of room in my engine bay to work with.

By the way. If anyone wants to know my opinion on the sundown zv3s.

They are great subs. But they definitely can not take 2500 watts. I would have gone with NS subs. But the dealer I was PMing told me that the zv3s can handle 3000 and that I would be fine.

This is definitely not the case. But when I tuned the amp for SPL. The subs make this terrible slapping sound on heavy bass notes. They can take 2000 for sure. But not 2500 all day.

Thanks for the help bro. Also im going to go with with this i think https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2000~Volkswagen~Jetta~2.8L-V6/13853-180-spx.html im working with a 6000 rms system. Think ill be good with some batts.
Yeah. IF you get enough batteries you should be fine.

Just a warning though. My car looses almost a 1 volt with the 2 xp 3000s, and 1 d3400 on 5000rms. And thats with the 3 runs of copper wire and copper buss bars.

So you would need more batteries than me if you want a daily driver set up like I have. I am not sure if you are going for comps or dd.

I should also add.

The review on the Exile X5 amp.

John. THe guy who fixed my amp. Said it was one of the nicest amps parts/components wise. He said it was very similar to the Atomic 5000 that he has.

He ran the amp @ .5 an ohm for 6 weeks with no issues. He also upgraded the amps power wires from 8GA to 4GA.

Also he said most amps are equipped with 1 thermeister. But my amp has 2 of them. He said it was one of the nicest amps he has ever tested. He actually sent me a text saying that he was considering offering me his DD Z2HV (7k) for the Exile. But I told him that I can't fit the Z2HV in my car anyways.

Very nice amp. Definitely recommended brand to anyone looking for some nice equipment.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.