My Durabrand H/U review/story

Participant count
  • Participant list

seth350
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Today I got the bright idea to go to walmart and look for a cheap decent h/u. Didn't have to be awesome or jesus just something to put in the truck so that it has a radio. Because my truck is fixing to be passed down to my brother and I will be getting something else to drive. God save my poor trucks soul...if you only knew my brother....but thats a different story.

Anyways, I walked into walmart and made my way to the automotive department.

First I had to look at my Pioneer p770mp and jizz all over myself before I could even begin my search. After I was done with that I began looking at all the cheaper h/u's.

They had some low end Pioneers, which I studied for a spell trying to decide if it was really worth the $120. Then I looked at a moderately expensive JVC but it was almost $200 so quite naturally it was overlooked.

Then I saw a price tag that read $78.72 and then I looked up and there was a Durabrand WD810 CD/MP3/WMA h/u (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3639257&cat=3947&type=19&dept=3944&path=0%3A3944%3A3947)

I contemplated upon this little bugga for a minute and seeing it wasnt expensive at all and including the fact that it plays mp3s and wmas, I then decided to purchase it.

Then I thought to myself how embarassing it would be to buy this thing. Its going against everything I have ever been told or learned myself. "Durabrand? Surely not ...not me....never would I buy such a brand.", I thought to myself. Then before I could think anything else I asked the guy that was working back there that I wanted it. He looked at me strangely as if he was thinking "this? you want this? ha!" but considering it was Walmart, I dont think the guy had really any idea if it was good or not.

He rung up the h/u and told me the price and I paid him. As I was walking off I noticed they were whispering to each other and smiling. But thats prolly b/c they were gay and they were discussing my nice ass.

I got home and to my amazment this thing aint half bad. Wiring harness was very neat and organized, unlike my last Pioneer I had. All the of the wires were long, a great attribute for me b/c its always been a b.itch installing stereos in my truck b/c the wires had been too short. Anyways, I got her installed and turned it on and wow, its not so bad after all. It doesn't distort at high levels too much and everything sounds clear. Even the bass and treble sounds clear. And I have 2 4x6 Infinity Reference plates (front) and 2 Pioneer 4x6 speakers (rear).

Anyways, theres the story heres the review.....

Pros....yes there are some...

Good SQ for such a cheap h/u. Its not OMG! awesome but I was expecting a lot less from it.

It plays MP3s and WMAs and gives cd text (BIG plus for me b/c all of my cds are mp3s)

Wiring harness is neat and easy to work with.

Wires are long which makes them able to reach hard to reach the converter harness.

It even has a small spectrum analyzer which was pretty cool to me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

You get alot more for the price! Only $78.72!

Try finding a h/u that plays mp3s and wmas and has XM radio for that price.

Although, there were some cons...

The face plate itself feels cheap (obviously), the open button is kinda hard to push and I have some colored CD-Rs that wont load into it. They get stuck for some reason. The clock isn't visible while its playing. You have to switch it over to clock to see the time. Display is kinda hard to read in the sunlight. Theres also a bolt on the back of the h/u that you cannot take off. Im not sure what its for but it didnt impede the install any.

Thats my story/review...

If you've read this far, God bless you.

sounds cool.... but its fugly!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Eh.....I guess

It matches my interior so I guess its ok...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Eh.....I guessIt matches my interior so I guess its ok...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif
sweet, i had a clarion 735..hell i dont know what it was, but it was butt ugle too, but i liked it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.