My cone started rattling (expensive A$$ Eclipse Ti)

Participant count
  • Participant list

danfortner
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've had a single 12" Eclipse Titanium since last april, and recently the cone started rattling. I think this is due to the change to a ported box that I recently made. For like the first 8 months I had it in a 1.2 cu ft sealed box, and it sounded good and hit good, but then I upgraded to a 1.7cu ft ported box that sounded just as good, but hit alot harder. I was thinking that maybe since its going to full excursion now in the ported box, the cone rattling problem started up. Actually it sounds and hits just as hard, just the cone rattles during hits. Could this subwoofer have just worn out or is something wrong with the box? Can I fix it?

Other stuff to consider:

- although properly tuned to 35hz - the port is tiny - although there isn't port noise, the mach must be pretty high

- I am using the same amplifier that I was using when it was sealed - US Acoustics 1000D - 750w RMS at 2 ohms. That is the exact RMS of the sub, so I assume that even if the amp is overrated, the sub should be able to handle 750w-800w.

- box tuned to 35hz - subsonic filter at 35hz

- I did NOT buy this at an authorized Eclipse dealer, there is no warranty.

- It has Quick Change Assembly (QCA) - maybe that would make it easier to fix.

I had a rattling problem with my eclipse aluminum. THe magnet had come loose from the structure that supports the cone and voice coil. There should be an audible rattle when you move the magnet around.

1. Remove the rubber cover from the magnet.

2. undo all the screws and take off the magnet.

3. Make sure no damage was caused.

4. Put the magnet back on and tighten up.

5. Plug it in and see if it fixed it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.