My Brothers Car

Participant count
  • Participant list

RFFreak4Life
10+ year member

My brother brought me his car saying to install this, a head unit, Amp, Subs and regular int. Speakers. I did, but there wasnt a Yellow wire from the facotry wire harness. So what do I do to get memory to the stereo so he doesnt have to select a station, you know seek and scan? I thought I could run a wire from the cig lighter, becuase it has constant power, but I'm not sure. please help. We bought the reverse wire harness which wires into the factory harness and the one that wires into the stereo, but there wasn't a yellow memory wire. Please help any questions post a thread and let me know. Thats teh only problem with all that

Gotta ask a couple questions:

What kind of HU is it? Did it come with any installation papers? Is it new or used (maybe someone already cut the yellow one off)?

What other wire colors have you not used?

It's an older Jensen Tape player, with RCA Pre Amps. Well there were two wires, the blue and the yellow. We ended up using the blue for the auto amp turn on, you know because we put too RF HE2's and a 640 watt amp its only pushin 300 though. Anyway, so in the car's factory wiring harness, there wasnt a constant power source so he has to scan and find a station. other than that though its alright. So what do i do for the memory part of it? Please Help.

OK - the yellow wire from the deck is probably for the clock & memory. My car didn't come with a constant power wire for the old radio either. I had to take a voltmeter and go check the fuse block for a spot where power was available.

One convenient place to tap into is the cigarette lighter wire. They're usually hot all the time and run off a 25 amp fuse. Use an inline fuse holder with like a 1/2 amp fuse.

BTW there are some user manuals available on Jensen's web site at

http://www.jensen.com/mobile/receivers.asp

Thank You very much. this is dearly appreciated. i have another question, if you run a portable CD Player through a tape adapter will it distort/ I've heard it will and can eventually ruin subs speakers etc. Thanks for your help. Brian

If the CD player is turned up too high it'll overload the tape heads and distort. But I gotta believe your ears would know long before you did any damage to speakers.

Turn the CD up slow until the system volume is the same as it was when playing a tape and you'll be fine. Maybe mark the volume control with magic marker so you can set it the same way next time.

Good luck. Hope I helped.

just wire the red and yellow from your HU to your main power if its uninterrupted, if it is then put the + from your car on the red cable on your HU, then draw a new uninterrupted cable from the battery to your HU and put this one on the yellow cable.

Colors are set by iso standards, always:

blue : remote

red: power

black: ground

yellow: memory / presets

purple/green/gray/and on color i cant recal: speakers

If you go really exotic with HU's the colors will be the same altho there will be more colors on your plug then i described above (you can have boardcomputer and **** etc.)

peace

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

RFFreak4Life

10+ year member
RFFreak4Life
Independence, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from