My Audio Technix Order (Intro To the New Stuff)

[quote name='av83']He told me in an email once that he runs out of decals from time to time due to demand.

Nice review, @neo_styles ;. One thing though, about comparing knu strand count to AT strand count... Knu markets their Kolossus line as oversized wire, so it dang well better be a lot bigger. But AT looks to be really decent stuff for wire that's not marketed as oversized. Looks very flexible.[/QUOTE]

Good call. Forgot about the fact Knu oversizes everything (except for their alts). And yes, I'm pretty amazed at how flexible this stuff is. You really can't tell there's copper wire running through the internals as it bends more like string.

Took a couple new pics and the DMM came in today, so I decided to take some measurements. In the future, I'll have to remember that you really don't get precision out of a $10 DMM (mine is an Equus 3300) as it's only accurate to 0.1 ohm and when the leads are shorted together I end up with 0.2 ohms, so keep that in mind.

IMG_0194%5B1%5D.jpg

A much better shot of the pins and connector. I really like the fact that these pins are user-serviceable. Coleman though well enough in the design to allow the caps to unscrew easily enough but stay locked tight when you don't want them to. There is a split-pin design around the entirety of the pin as well instead of a four-point cut or a solid piece at the end.

IMG_0195%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm sorry this photo came out as bad as it did, I'll have to reattempt in daylight hours and with the Canon since my small-boy doesn't do macro well. What i'm trying to show you is that the connections are soldered well enough and there isn't any spillover of solder fusing the ground and signal connections. Also, there is no obvious charring or melting of the wire which can cause issues with signal transmission along the jacket.

How did it fare with the DMM? Well enough for me. Pin to pin on the same wire run yields 0.2 ohms (remember that's as close to 0 as this DMM gets) and reads infinite from pin-ground and any other point along the jacket. I attribute this to the wire pants leading directly up to the barrel and the techflex jacketing along the wire run. Additionally, I detected no shorts from wire to wire at either the pins or the grounds. If these things do pick up external noise while being run in an interior, I would kinda be surprised.

I received similar measurements testing a 4-channel pair of Knu Krystal cables with 0.3 ohms pin-pin and infinite from pin-ground, but the jacketing is less substantial (think of the Klarity, just a wee bit thicker). That 0.1 ohm difference could actually have some significance in why people are getting noise as it seems some signal gets eaten up by the dielectric/insulation and could be shorting out to parts of the jacket.

I'm kinda excited now to put these through their paces now in the system. We may finally have a low-cost alternative to Monster that performs identically-well in the car environment. The proof will come if I can no longer hear noise on silent passages from my front stage. This became more prominent now that the front stage is bridged on my Eclipse and it's receiving more juice. Really not noticeable during most music, though.

I enabled HDR mode on the iPhone and the quality got much better, so I have a couple more photos of the solder joints:

IMG_0199.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

Here's the best of the bunch. You can also see here that there's a little plastic cap that covers the solder connections when the cap is screwed on. This, I'm sure, helps out quite a bit to block out external signals at the cap. And, finally, it's easy to see no spillover of solder.

i have the regular 4g ofc kit and i rlly like it i had a 4 gauge cadence kit in my last car dosent even compair tbh and who dosent love free stickers..lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i have the regular 4g ofc kit and i rlly like it i had a 4 gauge cadence kit in my last car dosent even compair tbh and who dosent love free stickers..lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Shh...you're gonna make some people who never got theirs angry lol. Kinda hoping for a lanyard on the next order, though (hint, hint, wink, wink)

All OFC. He gave me a good deal so I can't really complain. I wanted a darn sticker to represent though! HEHE!
I have an extra one from some stuff I ordered PM me your addy and I will mail it to ya.

Shh...you're gonna make some people who never got theirs angry lol. Kinda hoping for a lanyard on the next order, though (hint, hint, wink, wink)
haha oops //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif

Awesome reviews! Glad to see we could get your order squared away...and as far as the decals go we JUST got them back in stock, we have been out for a few months.

Awesome reviews! Glad to see we could get your order squared away...and as far as the decals go we JUST got them back in stock, we have been out for a few months.
Ehh it wasn't really your guys' fault as far as I can tell. USPS has been known to pull some weird stuff in the past.

Wanted to update the review thread with a few more tests. I went out today to reset the gains on my Eclipse, this time using a DMM, an thought it would be a great opportunity to test out the new RCAs before I made any adjustments. For the TL;DR types out there, my Knu Klarity RCAs make noise like a mother at their current gain level. Enough so that my wife notices and she's not a CA buff. I pulled out the HU, swapped the RCAs, and BAM. Noise disappeared. This confirms that the things I observed on my initial inspection were all key contributors: the clean solder points inside the plug, the plastic ring separating the ground sheathing from the wiring, the solid DMM readings...all of these give me the warm fuzzies that I need to have when it comes to my RCAs.

Is it really fair to compare them to Knu's 8-dollar Klaritys? Probably not, but in the Knu vs AT race, it's one match won for AT. Good going, guys. I'm all smiles here ATM.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

neo_styles

10+ year member
AKA Pop Twidget
neo_styles
WA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies