My amp wont turn on anymore..

jadyn123
10+ year member

Arizona
Yesterday my amp went into protect mode. I believe it could have been due to heat (I used it for a long time).

Now this morning it cooled down and I tried to turn it on. Now the RED LED light, indicating protect mode, does not come on. Nor does the power LED. However a different blue light on the top does come on, indicating its getting some power.

With the remote wire disconnected, I touched my multimeter to the 12v and ground terminals with the amp remote wire cord disconnected and it read ~11.5v

I then plugged in the remote wire (so the amp is on) and it read ~5v

Im not an expert and Im kind of pissed that this happened after a week of having it.

Hopefully its just a problem with the wiring or something simple.

Help is much appreciated!

Yesterday my amp went into protect mode. I believe it could have been due to heat (I used it for a long time).Now this morning it cooled down and I tried to turn it on. Now the RED LED light, indicating protect mode, does not come on. Nor does the power LED. However a different blue light on the top does come on, indicating its getting some power.

With the remote wire disconnected, I touched my multimeter to the 12v and ground terminals with the amp remote wire cord disconnected and it read ~11.5v

I then plugged in the remote wire (so the amp is on) and it read ~5v

Im not an expert and Im kind of pissed that this happened after a week of having it.

Hopefully its just a problem with the wiring or something simple.

Help is much appreciated!
Is the battery dead, have you tried starting the car?

Take your car/truck up to Orielys and get them to test your battery with,and without a load? If it checks out fine,take the amp out and take it to the car battery and ground it and put + and remote together,and it should light up/power,if it doesnt then you will most likely need get it repaired/replaced.

You have a bad connection/circuit on your power or ground wire. Try that test again only put your + lead on the amp+ and put the - lead to a clean bare metal ground spot OTHER THEN WHERE YOUR AMP IS CURRENTLY CONNECTED.

If the result is the same you have a bad connection on the power lead. corrosion in the fuse holder assembly or loose connector or terminal etc.

If the result is different then your problem is your ground wire.

ok, when you do that test, do both the power and remote wires read 5v? if not, then you have a poor connection in the power wire. if it was really dropping to 5v, the whole car would be dead at that point. and, even if the fuse looks good, it may be bad. test for power at multiple points untill you get battery voltage. like the connection at the battery, before, and after the fuse, and any distro block you might have. you will find it somewhere.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.