muh new buildlog...

I was going to try a foam brush but used a bristle brush instead. I kept getting these little bumps that were like pieces of sand in the polyurethane. I don't know if it was dust from the brush or the air or what... I cleaned the enclosure before each coat and I would still get them.

This picture kind of shows what I'm talking about:

I'm they will smooth out over time like my last enclosure did but it needs to hurry up and happen.

Oh and apparently a pubic hair laned on the enclosure while it was drying... -_-

^^ Yeap, you can use fine grit sand paper to get rid of them. What brushes are you using? I have used the staining sponges and they don't leave those air pockets due to no bristles.

They're not air bubbles; they're tiny niblets of like dust or sand. I removed as many as I could with my gloved finger. It felt like little grains of sand.

I used some $10 2" wide brush that had really soft bristles at the beginning but slowly got kind of frayed.

The air bubbles I was able to remove before it dried and I did that by slowly moving the brush from side to side with it barely touching the surface. When I would do this, it would roll the little grits around... really frustrating.

They're not air bubbles; they're tiny niblets of like dust or sand. I removed as many as I could with my gloved finger. It felt like little grains of sand.
I used some $10 2" wide brush that had really soft bristles at the beginning but slowly got kind of frayed.

The air bubbles I was able to remove before it dried and I did that by slowly moving the brush from side to side with it barely touching the surface. When I would do this, it would roll the little grits around... really frustrating.
You need to do multiple coats of poly, and between each coat sand with 220 grit paper, then clean with a rag and paint thinner. The rag with thinner on it will act like a magnet and take off any dust from the wood, leaving you with a smooth finish.

Also the final coat on TypeRbass's box was done with a comercial grade poly. used for coating wood floors. Much thicker then minwax products.

You need to do multiple coats of poly, and between each coat sand with 220 grit paper, then clean with a rag and paint thinner. The rag with thinner on it will act like a magnet and take off any dust from the wood, leaving you with a smooth finish.
That's exactly what I did between each coat (about 8 total; 3/4 of the medium sized can on a 2.2 cube enclosure). There was no dust on the wood when I put it on; I'm guessing it either came from the can or from the brush bristles. Next time I'll use a foam brush and see if it happens again. It also doesn't help that my garage is dirty as hell and mad dusty.

That's exactly what I did between each coat (about 8 total; 3/4 of the medium sized can on a 2.2 cube enclosure). There was no dust on the wood when I put it on; I'm guessing it either came from the can or from the brush bristles. Next time I'll use a foam brush and see if it happens again. It also doesn't help that my garage is dirty as hell and mad dusty.
Ya dont use the spray can stuff it *****. Best thing to do is either brush it on or use a roller with 1/4 inch nap. but if you use a roller clean it with paint thinner first to get any loose fuzz off it.

No, I meant the can like this:

263244_front200.jpg

I used about 3/4 of the medium sized one. The brush was some $10 long haired 2" wide brush from lowes. I'll try a roller or foam brush next time though.

ok its done, in the car, and booming, and its been tested.

new on top of the old

DSC00043600x450.jpg

ports internal view

DSC00044600x450.jpg

me workin i guess

DSC00045600x450.jpg

****in sub holes...

DSC00046600x450.jpg

straddling the box

DSC00047600x450.jpg

in the car

DSC00048600x450.jpg

view from the front of the car

DSC00049600x450.jpg

If you quit smoking for a month, I'll set you up on a date with a cutey. And by date I mean you watching through an open closet door at my house while I work my magic.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

TypeRBass

10+ year member
Walls are for wussies
TypeRBass
Tinley Park, IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date