Mounting the 4" Midrange of a Dyn 3 way set... Any suggestions?

hemi4me?
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
HELP, wondering where I should mount the 4" midrange from my 3 way Dynaudio 360 set? The 7" will be flushed into the doors with a pod of some sort, and the 4" will either fit into the factory kick panel witha small build out, or in the dash as you see with a lil more cutting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments? I was thinking the kicks would look better, and may not even be that hard with a angle cut piece of wood raised, and bondo'd flush into the factory kick area.

The speaker is about 4.5" across all told, and 1.25" is the mount depth.

If you have any pics that would be awesome. Here is what I was thinking, this car with them facing the center of the dash?

Official Simplicity In Sound G35 Install //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif - G35Driver

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0549.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

[

honestly, just experiment with them and see where it sounds best.

Winner winner chicken dinner. Best advice I have heard on this forum in a long time. Every vehicle is different. Wire them up and listen in both spots. Stuff them with some kitchen towels in the kick to seperate the back wave. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Winner winner chicken dinner. Best advice I have heard on this forum in a long time. Every vehicle is different. Wire them up and listen in both spots. Stuff them with some kitchen towels in the kick to seperate the back wave. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
they are sealed ramos //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

but yea, put a tshirt or something down there to hold em in different spots\angles and actually drive around with em like that. put em on the dash hooked up and drive around with em. mess around with settings (if you can, eq, tc, xover, iPHASE! ect)

find out what sounds best and is most economical and then apply your new found knowledge //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i say glassed on the floor or up on the dash will sound best. but that is just me and i dont have those mids or your car - but thats where i would start. aim the drivers ~5 inches forward of your ear and ~1.5 down at the side windows - thats a good starting point for a good stage.

play around see what is best //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

x2

You can try them on the dash, but I think its going to be quite difficult to tame the reflections up there firing up...if you want some in depth reading though, there is a thread over at elitecaraudio.com about the possibility of Dome mids on the dash...

looks like there was about 3/4 inch behind the factory kick... The first pic shows how it would have been to get the clearance I need for the speaker. BUT then I found some room, and cut the factory kick the same size as the baffle and gained about 5/8" or so...

Here is what I came up with, please remember I have NEVER worked with a router, or glass or bondo! Not bad so far I just need to bondo it in, and then find something to cover it in? Or paint it I guess.

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0561.jpg

looks good. i would have tried to angle them on axis as much as possible. but i like where you are going. just make sure they are attached to the kick with some screws from behind or something to keep them from coming apart.

and scuff up that plastic real bad before applying bondo so that it will aslo stick really well to the plastic.

looks good, i hope it sounds as good!

Only thing left to do is cover it. Not sure with what, something that matches, maybe a vinyl or that same suedish stuff I have in the back deck, but a lighter color.

Anyway I have yet to build the other side! OMG.

IMG_0561-1.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

I tried to wrap it and failed, even after all the how tos... The corner was way too hard for me and I wanted it done right.

Did you ever start a project and then say I will do this that and this today? Only to find it took you 2 days to do the this? Well... I am finally done with the this...

The kicks are done, wired (harder than it sounds, Dynaudio wire connectors ****) and I soldered them to be sure no issues.

I got the kicks sanded some more and then also wrapped in a pretty close match to the interior down below. Anyway, these will slip right into place, but I dont want to do that this second. I can tell already I will need a couple sill pieces because I will trash the vinyl... CRAP Billet Tech here I come.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.