Mono amp install wire and fuse

Participant count
  • Participant list

uenjoymyself

Hello to all!

Installing a entry level mono amp to drive a 10" sub in my daughters car. I have 0 experience with car audio. The amp is a 1100 watt 250watt rms to a 350 watt sub. I have ordered a 4 gauge wire install kit. The power wire has a fuse.

Question: what determines the size of that fuse? Is it the gauge of the wire or the electrical draw through the wire that dictates the size of the fuse?

Do I match the power wire fuse to the fuse size in the amp?

Thank you in advance and please excuse my ignorance!!!!

What type of fuse, AGU or Mini-ANL? (Plastic or Glass)
Its AGU. here is the product description

20' 4-gauge red power cable; competition high-quality fuse holder; gold plated AGU fuse

3' 4-gauge black ground cable; 16' 18-gauge blue turn-on wire; 30' 16-gauge OFC speaker wire

17' high performance RCA interconnect; 6' split loom tubing; (20) 4" wire tires; (3) rubber grommets

#10 gold-plated ring terminal; 5/16" gold-plated ring terminal; 1/4" gold-plated ring terminal; (4) gold-plated speaker terminals

Its AGU. here is the product description

20' 4-gauge red power cable; competition high-quality fuse holder; gold plated AGU fuse

3' 4-gauge black ground cable; 16' 18-gauge blue turn-on wire; 30' 16-gauge OFC speaker wire

17' high performance RCA interconnect; 6' split loom tubing; (20) 4" wire tires; (3) rubber grommets

#10 gold-plated ring terminal; 5/16" gold-plated ring terminal; 1/4" gold-plated ring terminal; (4) gold-plated speaker terminals
AGU you'll just want to put the biggest one you can find in. Usually 60-80A, it might not work if the amp is drawing too much.

I have read on this site and also been told by several members on here who seem to know there stuff that you always fuse for the wires capacity not the draw so in your case 4g I would think would be much higher than 60 or 80amp. Just my .2

I have read on this site and also been told by several members on here who seem to know there stuff that you always fuse for the wires capacity not the draw so in your case 4g I would think would be much higher than 60 or 80amp. Just my .2
u should do it for the power draw.....but most Anl fuses can take more then they are rated for....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.