Mixing Speakers

Lincoln LS
10+ year member

Boston
I just saw that there's a huge sale on CDT Eurosport tweeters. Can you buy those, midranges, and crossovers all separately and have decent sound? Is that what "going active" is? I apologize for my stupidity, but I'm pretty new to all the specifics of car audio. Also does anyone have any experiences with those tweeters? Thank you in advance.

I have 3 different brands of speakers in my front soundstage alone and they seem to get along ok. You can mix and match drivers, but not x-overs. Passive x-overs are built for the specific drivers and buy eliminating them, you will need to activly x-over the signal instead. Hence, active.

I believe CDT uses Eton drivers???

thanks guys. so using separate tweeters from mids are ok? do crossovers matter as well?
Not understanding your question, sorry. If you are asking if it's ok to just swap different mids and tweeters on your comp set, then that probably won't work very well. If you want to mix and match your own speakers (for example CDT tweeters and Focal mids) then you have a few options - build a passive x-over for them, or run them actively using several signal pricessing methods (HU, electronic crossover, amp crossovers, etc). There are lots of ways to achieve what your passive x-overs are doing for you right now. I am not implying that it is better, just different. I many ways, a nice passive comp set is just as good.

CDT uses Vifa mids. The Eurosports are the MG series.

In a lot of cases you can just swap out different mids and still use the passive network that came with a comp set. the tweeter is the only driver that really needs a Zobel network requiring resistor and capacitor values specific to the intended driver. Otherwise CDT wouldn't be able to get away with using the same crossover on every comp set in each line. Regardless of the mid used, the ES line all use the same x-over. Same with the EF and the CL lines. Each line has the same tweet all the way though that line that dictates the crossover freq and the need for Zoel correction. The mid is just a mid. As long as the impedance is correct, most any mid will work.

I appreciate the replies. Basically I was looking to buy the tweeters I mentioned and match them up with different CDT mids. I can't really afford the Eurosport mids, so i was thinking maybe buy a level or two down from them. I just wasn't sure if that would be able to be done and how crossovers would play into that. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.