minimizing impedance rise

IgnoreMe
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com VIP
caraudio.com
i have read a nice thread over at SSA about impedance rise. impedance rise is basically accepted as you just build and test and accept what you get.

my question is, has are there any proven tips that can help minimize impedance rise? i have heard the idea behind a TL enclosure lies in the fact that it will help keep impedance stable if designed correctly. but how about regular ported boxes?

smaller the box = greater the rise? vice versa?

lower the tuning = lower the rise? vice versa?

things like that make me wonder if there is a way that we can at least TRY to design around keeping impedance down. im assuming its basically impossible, which is why i haven't seen but maybe 1 thread on the subject that went into detail.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2690&hl=impedance

this is the thread im talking about. it ended too quickly IMO //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

but its a good read and i would always love more info from experienced people.

edit: especially checkout jellyfish420's posts. he has a couple different boxes and graphs the rise against each other. impedance rise changes vastly each time.

heres one for the people that dont want to take a look

impedancegraph3rk.jpg

and another. the tuning of course is going to make a difference where the biggest and smallest rise is, but for example look how jumpy the 23hz tuning is compared to the others

image0020da.gif

man...that was a while ago. the main reason i was doing those is to find out exactly my tuning. impedance is lowest at tuning.
yes impedance is lowest at tuning. however there are other factors that change, and effect impedance throughout a band of frequencies. trying to see if there are way to try to control that.

i see some guys that have huge rises. say up to 8 ohms. and then build another box and the rise will come down to say, 4 ohms. that would be a doubling of power at that freq, which to me would be time wells spent rebuilding the box.

yes impedance is lowest at tuning. however there are other factors that change, and effect impedance throughout a band of frequencies. trying to see if there are way to try to control that.
i see some guys that have huge rises. say up to 8 ohms. and then build another box and the rise will come down to say, 4 ohms. that would be a doubling of power at that freq, which to me would be time wells spent rebuilding the box.
here's how i found the lowest rise...

build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

every woofer will react diff, to every box, in every different vehicle.

here's how i found the lowest rise...
build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

build and test

every woofer will react diff, to every box, in every different vehicle.
you have found 0 patterns in all the testing you have done?

im pretty sure the smaller the box, the lesser the impedance rise and vice versa.
I would think its depend on the sub. Rise is also caused by heat, an you would think smaller the box is less air for the sub? **** idk.lol

im pretty sure the smaller the box, the lesser the impedance rise and vice versa.
kinda shitty.

if you think about it...your building for efficiency yet the bigger you make your box trying to gain efficiency, the higher your rise is lowering your power anyways lol.

thats what it seemed they were catching onto in the thread on ssa.

kinda shitty.
if you think about it...your building for efficiency yet the bigger you make your box trying to gain efficiency, the higher your rise is lowering your power anyways lol.

thats what it seemed they were catching onto in the thread on ssa.
guess your gonna have to go sealed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

guess your gonna have to go sealed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
ive tried sealed before...its not for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.