Memphis 15-MCS6 Tweeter too harsh

Bun-Bun
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Saskatoon
Installed these just over a year ago. The 15-MCS6 as seen in the following link

MClass Component Speakers from Memphis Car Audio

And for the most part I love them. They are loud and can keep up to my four 10's. Never have I heard them distort.

But the tweeter is pretty bright and harsh. I wish they were smoother (Like Hertz)

There is an optional silk tweeter (the tweeter with the set is aluminium dome) that I can buy that will just drop into the tweeter pod mount (the tweeter itself is removable, just turn and pull). Thus I wont have to rewire anything or redo my tweeter pods. I just have to find a dealer that I can order them from. Looks like it will be about $100.

Think this would be better for what I want? Or should I wait until I can rebuild my tweeter pods and get the Hertz?

Are you running them off their passive crossovers? Dial them down -3db if there is a switch to do so. Most of the time these passives are switched to max settings.

Yes I am. I will check if the crossovers have any settings. I do not remember there being any. I have the 4k band of my HU's EQ down 3 or 4 db which helps but they still ring when turned up and are overly bright as a whole.

Might just be the nature of the driver to be like that. My original PB 3xl's were a little bright but I set the switch to -3 and it made a huge difference.

Also take them up to 6k or even 8k and see what happens. My new set up my tweets will be 10k+ my 3" will be doing a lot of work. I take it your 9887 is doing your processing? try a 24db slope if you arent already.

The passives you have might have a normal swtich or a jumper setting like a PC mother board with a small jumper clip!

No jumpers or switches on the crossovers. And no dealers for Memphis in Canada anymore.

Yes the 9887 is doing the processing but setup as front/rear/sub. Not 3 way active. I have considered ditching the rears and using my 4 channel on the fronts in a active 3 way setup. As it is going 24db slope made it sound sterile.

This is the silk one https://www.woofersetc.com/p-8222-15-mc1s-memphis-1-silk-dome-tweeter-set.aspx I imagine I would have to bypass the tweeter side of my current crossovers and use the ones that came with it not? Or could I use the crossover that are currently on my speakers?

try aiming them off-axis a little my tweets where like that then i moved then in he corners of my dash aimed towards my but not as direct and they sound great. im also bi-amping mine with my deck so i have a little more power but really it was for the time-aligning capabilities. independent tweeter and mid time-aligning made a huge difference in my sound stage even with my tweets reflecting of the windshield.

i would just try them a little more off axis turn the tweet in the pod a little away from you and see if it helps otherwise you need a way to dial your tweeters down which if you ran active you could do that at the amp

x2 off-axis should help

try cutting them back at 8kw/10kw/12.5kw, not sure what your HU offers for EQ.

Also could try a piece of speaker grill cloth over them to see if that tames them down some.

Ok so even more reasons to go 3 way active... lol

I only have a 5 band parametic EQ so I can cut them back at only one of the higher frequencies. Unless I can move all the frequencies up on it...

I will try grille cloth. I dont think that will help the ringing though.

Grill cloth is acoustically transparent. It won't do anything to tame the tweeters. The problem is metal dome tweeters are a subjective choice that tend to be very bright sounding, and you're fortunate Memphis offers a silk tweeter alternative.

This is an excellent video explaining parametric EQ:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.