Mechman 320a alt not charging

Participant count
  • Participant list

x91evo
10+ year member

I recently purchased a 320a alt from Mechman, it worked great for about a week.

It isn't charging at all anymore.

I purchased it with the adjustable voltage boost module that uses the internal regulator.

It charged instantly when I turned on my jeep Cherokee for a while until eventually it took longer and longer to reach charging voltage.

It would run off the batteries resting voltage for 5-15mins (time increased by the day) then spike to charging voltage.

Very strange

I am on 14vts resting and 16.5 charging,

It seems like where the harness from the voltage module plugs into the stock harness is melted.

I have heard about this happening at least a couple other times with other model cars.

all my terminals are tight, grounds are low resistance, and my battery is brand new xs power d1400.

Can anybody give me any insight? I will try to get some pictures up

Thank you for that^ didn't know you could do that

I talked to Eric at Mechman already

but I just wanted some second opinions on a solution

The only harness issues we have experienced have been with the GM units with low-ohm rotors.

If there is any corrosion on the connections it can cause heat, resistance and melting if it is not corrected.

This particular design is the exact unit that we have run on the Mechman TJ and countless other Jeeps without issue.

What are you using to measure the voltage while driving? The factory voltmeter in the Jeep/Dodge applications is inaccurate and over 15.7-15.8 will show false readings. We have experienced this on more than one Jeep running 14v and corrected it by using an aftermarket voltmeter.

Hey Mechman,

I am using a stinger digital voltmeter

No corrosion or anything on my connections to the stock harness.

Everything was sealed up with the supplied heat shrink when installed.

Any other ideas?

I replaced the melted harness plug with new connectors and everything else I could think of and, still low (if any) charging voltage.

I'm thinking since this is internally regulated possibly a diode may of gone? Since the battery still stays at high 13s While the car is on (although this could be bad for my 14v battery)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

x91evo

10+ year member
x91evo
Chicago IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from