Mechman 240alt shorter belt???

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mrcash05

I just picked up a Mechman 240 alt for a Pontiac Vibe Gt. Mechman suggest using a 1/2" shorter belt. Oem belt is a 75" 7 rib. In order to use a shorter belt I have to use a 6 rib. Is this ok? Or should I just try a new 75" first and see if that works being that it's new and not stretched out yet.

Thanks

Nick

Have you tried fitting it yet with your current belt?

The pulley on many HO alts is smaller than stock, which is why they recommend a smaller belt.

However, if your automatic tensioner is able to take up the slack, there isn't an issue. If the tensioner isn't able to take up the slack under load, then you'll need a new belt. I find it hard to believe that you would have to go with a 6 rib belt instead of a 7 rib if that was stock.

When I got quad alternators on my truck and the Gates belt (that came with the kit/bracket) didn't fit, I went to a local auto parts store and they ordered me a custom belt. It cost $86 and some change. It was ready to be picked up in two days and worked great.

You should be able to order a custom belt to fit if the stock one doesn't fit properly

I have not tried fitting it as I wasn't sure about the belt. It does have an auto tensioner. I'll give with a shot with oem belt.

Side question

If I can't find the engine block to chassis ground can I ground it at the altanator bracket bolt?

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mrcash05

Mrcash05
Grand Rapids, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
adulbrich