Mechanical noise

Participant count
  • Participant list

ejschultz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
When a sub is on it's way out, it starts to make some mechanical noise. Does it make mechanical noise at all volumes or only under high excursion? I'm curious because I'm trying to figure out if one of my CVXs in the Caprice is starting to make some mechanical noise. The noise sounds more like it's coming from the surround of the sub more than anything. It also doesn't heat up at all. I've got 2 of them in a 2.5 cubic foot sealed box @ 1000 RMS and a 15 Hz subsonic filter with a 24 dB/octave slope. I shouldn't be clipping them or overpowering them. Please don't flame me for using Kicker products. I got them brand new from Kicker for a killer deal when I worked at Circuit City.

you dont need a subsonic filter on a sealed box, let alone a 15hz ss is useless.

turn ur crossover to 80hz and no bass boost.

you could very well have a leak around ur sub thats why it sounds like comming from the surron. check ur screws are tight holding the sub in...

I'm already at 80 Hz with no boost on. I know I don't need the subsonic filter with the sealed box, but I turned it on when I started to notice the noise. I'll check all my screws and see if that's the issue. Hopefully that's why...

If the coil came unwound then it will make noise no matter the power you put to it. But it could be an air leak sealed box are notorious for that. Try weather stripping under the mounting flange of the sub.

Cool. I thought if it was something with the coil it would make noise at all volumes. I did tighten the subs up a bit, but it didn't help. Honestly, I'm starting to second guess as to whether or not it's coming from the sub. It may be some other part of my car rattling. It is old school GM...

Does your trunk stay up without them? I'll probably not end up taking them out of there. I don't hear the noise inside the car. I was "admiring" my subs one day, watching them "move" and heard the noise. There's really not much to admire and honestly 1000 RMS doesn't move them too much either, but you get the point.

No I have to hold it up. I pulled a actuator off a cadillac to put in my car just never have gotten around to putting it in. I am changing my setup and plan on putting it in then. When I did have the tensioners in I just rapped a couple zip ties around them so they wouldn't vibrate against each other anymore.

Does your trunk stay up without them? I'll probably not end up taking them out of there. I don't hear the noise inside the car. I was "admiring" my subs one day, watching them "move" and heard the noise. There's really not much to admire and honestly 1000 RMS doesn't move them too much either, but you get the point.
I admire your humility. Being humble in the car audio world is rare and you my friend seem like a pretty cool dude.

A misaligned, deformed or unwound coil will usually make noise at almost any volume level. Torn suspension will many times only be noticable at high excursion levels (although definitely not always).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.