Measuring amp performance

miket

I have a question(s),

I have been having strange problems with an old ADS 860MX. I had it set up to run 60 watts X 8 channels. However I was only using the first four channels....normally wired. These were powering four Infinity Reference cockpit speakers. One of my rear Infinity's blew, no doubt to my ADS.

So I picked up an Art Series PPI A600 and have another coming for to replace the ADS that I was using. I figured 150 watts per channel would be a big improvment and looked forward to getting everything setup.

I hooked up the first PPI (only one I have so far) and everything worked fine...all the right lights come on and it's really clean, but tehre doesn't seem to be much change from my ADS.

Should there be?....at the moment it's running two two way 4X6's and it is cleaner but from a volume perspective, it doesn't seem to be much different than before. Is there a way to test for output? Is it possible the amp isn't producing it's wattage output because the speakers aren't asking for it?

What do you all think?

I'm gonna be pretty much zero help cause I don't really feel like looking for the formula--wait--it might be coming to me-nope.

Anyway, just get a multimeter and measure the ac voltage coming out of the amp at the speaker terminals you are using. There is a formula to figure out wattage, it's something like

AC Volt=sqrt(watts*impedance) --I'm pretty sure that's not right but it's something like that. Be sure to use a test tone so you can get an accurate reading.

As to whether or not you should be hearing a difference you may just be reaching the mechanical/thermal limits of the speakers. Also check to make sure gains are set correctly, you can find a turorial here. Good luck!

Edit: I just looked at the tutorial and it actually has the formula in there! OMG, I even had the correct formula, glorius days!

Mike

I posted in several other forums and combined with your response, I believe the amp is working fine. Although I believe my next step is new speakers properly matched.

take the neg and positive wires and stick them to ur tongue and if it hurts its putting out enuff power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif *dont try at home.....lmao

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.