mdf material

It stands for Medium Density Fiberboard, kinda like particle board, but a whole lot better. They sell it at most major hardware stores such as Home Depot and Menards, etc. Get 3/4" thickness too. I think it's ~$20 for a 4x8 sheet.

Originally posted by grizzjwill how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed
depends on the size/dimentions of the box

figure out what the dimensions of the box will be then total up how big all the sides will be and see if you can get all that out of 1 sheet of 4' X 8' MDF...mostlikely youll be able to unless its a BIG box....and 2 pieces should deffinatly do it.

-Mac

Originally posted by more_spl mdf is highly compressed saw dust..... And maybe some glue paste solution in it to hold it together? idk..
kind of....the biggest difference between that and particle board is how the resin fiber mixture is harded (under heat if I am not mistaken).

Originally posted by grizzjwill how much would it cost to get enough for one box 12" L7 sealed
I had nearly half left over when I built my 3.5cu ft. slot ported

box for my e15k.

It was a simple rectanglular design with a slot port.

Originally posted by ShaunMac I had nearly half left over when I built my 3.5cu ft. slot ported

box for my e15k.

It was a simple rectanglular design with a slot port.
I think I used too much, in that case. My box took me about 2/3rd's of a 4 X 8 and the darn box is only 1.5CuFt...sealed...

gotta get a simpler, ported design, just as soon as I get a new sony hu.

Originally posted by evo2k3 kind of....the biggest difference between that and particle board is how the resin fiber mixture is harded (under heat if I am not mistaken).
Yeah....particle board is compressed sawdust joined by glue....which is why it's more brittle, is more prone to splitting, doesn't cut as clean, and screws strip easier in it. MDF is highly (well, medium) compressed sawdust, joined together with a synthetic resin and bonded under heat. It's better than particle board in every single aspect...

... in other words (quoted by woodcrafters in Korea) "MDF is just a hard slab of glue with sawdust compressed the **** out of it".

Be careful, don't inhale the dust while cutting, it's toxic.

Originally posted by awalbert88 Oh, sure, now you tell me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif
trial and error for me when i hung out at a buds shop all day for the first time

Unless you're sanding it or something, it's a smart move to attach your vacuum cleaner on the jigsaw and vutting only then. There will still be particles flying around like crazy, so you should always wear a dustmask and googles.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.