Maximum spacer ring around sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

peachpuff

Eh
So i'm thinking of fitting a bigger sub into an oem sub enclosure but i will need around a 2" spacer around the sub since its pretty deep, i figure 3 pieces of 0.75" mdf glued together should do the trick. Yes, no, dumb idea?

Also what should i use to seal any large gaps, spray foam or silicon sealant?

I filled the enclosure with water and counted 11 liters, that's almost 0.4 cubic feet, i probably could of fit another liter but couldn't since i couldn't get water to flow up into the baffles.

If i cut the opening and use a 2" spacer i could probably get between 0.45 and 0.5 cubic feet. Minimum sealed box for a 10" type r sub is 0.4 cf, i figure this would work. Maybe not ideal but this is what i have to work with.

An 8" sub would be ideal but they're more expensive for some reason but the 10's are easier to find locally to test fit.

You two are onto something, hmm will have to rethink this i guess.

Ok so the sub in the enclosure takes up 0.08 cf http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10D2_4_12D2_4.pdf

So if i can get the volume upto 0.5cf i'll basically be down to 0.4 cf when its installed, still doable right? Not sure how well the sub will sound in minimum sized enclosure, but its still within spec just on the low side. Maybe add some polyfill too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a few pics of this so called OEM sub enclosure/fitment area. I would suggest sticking with what the mfgr had before unless you wanna heavily modify the area where the OEM sub sits in. I think adding spacer rings....will make things ugly in the end. Sub and rings sticking out, just wouldn't look good unless you fab'ed up something bitchin' I have yet to see. Try maybe looking on Youtub vids....maybe someone out there had the same idea you had and made it possible. Or....stick 2 smaller subs in that area, like 2 6.5" drivers....and ported too.

I'm not too worried about looks, the sub will be behind the passenger seat and won't be visible at all. There's some pics of the enclosure here http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/amp-placement-46367/ dont laugh, i'm surprised they even managed to fit a sub enclosure in this car.

I think its doable, but now i'm wondering if the 10" sub might be a bit under powered by my amp, its 6x75w @ 2ohm so that sub is only getting 150watts, maybe the 8" will be better suited.

Its more than just a sporty car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.