Match amp & sub power levels?

Participant count
  • Participant list

dr_peeb
10+ year member

I'm sorry your honor
fl
Should the goal be to match your amp's power output exactly to your sub's power handling, or should either be higher than the other?

Seems to me like maybe the sub should be rated higher, just so it can take whatever the amp delivers, but what do you all think?

technically speaking, yes. Most higher end subs are under rated as are high end amplifiers. You can use a higher power amp then your sub can handle no problem, you just have to not be dumb with the gain and volume knob

technically speaking, yes. Most higher end subs are under rated as are high end amplifiers. You can use a higher power amp then your sub can handle no problem, you just have to not be dumb with the gain and volume knob
Well, I guess I'd prefer to "idiot proof" my system, so if I do have the gains set too high, or turn it up too high, or set the bass EQ real high ... any or all of that ... the sub can still take it. So maybe I've just answered my own question!

I guess I was really just wondering what the experts do.

Right now I have an Apline PDX-5 (birth sheet says 424W for the sub channel) and one 10" Alpine SWS-1043D (300W RMS/ 900W max), and I feel like the amp is over-powered for the single sub, and therefore has the power to drive a second sub.

its always better to have an amp that produce more power than the sub. Reason for that is you can get the full use of both amp and sub with clean power. If you have 1000 watt sub and 1000 amp. to use that amp to its capability, you will have to set the gain 3/4 or more and that can produce some clipping freq. but if you have an amp that does 2000 and a sub that takes 1000. you can set the gain much lower, keep the amp cooler and get the full use of your sub. Thats my opinion.

its always better to have an amp that produce more power than the sub. Reason for that is you can get the full use of both amp and sub with clean power. If you have 1000 watt sub and 1000 amp. to use that amp to its capability, you will have to set the gain 3/4 or more and that can produce some clipping freq. but if you have an amp that does 2000 and a sub that takes 1000. you can set the gain much lower, keep the amp cooler and get the full use of your sub. Thats my opinion.
Well cr@p, that makes sense too.

The position of the gain has nothing to do with whether or not there's clipping.

As long as you're staying out of clipping through the volume range you listen to, it really doesn't matter. Power handling isn't a guideline on how much power you should send a speaker.

The position of the gain has nothing to do with whether or not there's clipping.
As long as you're staying out of clipping through the volume range you listen to, it really doesn't matter. Power handling isn't a guideline on how much power you should send a speaker.
What does power handling indicate then?

Power handling indicates in most cases the maximum power a speaker can handle on music, or RMS wise, while it doesn't dictate how much you should send.

You can very easily send much less power - it's the same situation as turning the volume down. You could send more, but by no means do you need too. Having more power is similar - you don't use the amp to it's full power, which keeps it cooler and with a longer life. Set it with the intent of matching it to the subwoofer, and it'll work fine.

so if you have your gains set at max on the amp and lets say vol on the HU 25-30 out of 40. your saying that most likely your not sending a clipping signal ?

so if you have your gains set at max on the amp and lets say vol on the HU 25-30 out of 40. your saying that most likely your not sending a clipping signal ?
If you max out the gains, you will be sending clipped signal to your speakers. Gain is not a volume control. Gain is input sensitivity.

lol.. but thats what I am saying. maxing out the gain will most likely send a clipping signal to the subs. atleast thats what I think.
Well, I guess if you set the gain with the volume almost all the way down on the HU, you may be able to have it maxed. However, I don't believe that was the point he was trying to make. Basically, he's saying just don't clip your pre amp signal or your post amp signal and you should be good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.