Marine Audio Help

Participant count
  • Participants list

ehsan

CarAudio.com Newbie
10+ Year member on here but cant member my log in LOL
Used to remember all this when I was younger but forgot it all. I need help from you all!

I have the following below. I am looking to see how to run/wire this set up. I did buy it used off of someone. Is it enough power? Can I add more speakers? I appreciate any info. I am also a visual person so drawings would help!! Thank you!

Amp: JL AUDIO–M1000/5v2 5-Channel Class D Marine Amplifier
  • 4 Main Channels @ 4 Ω 75 W RMS
  • 4 Main Channels @ 2 Ω 100 W RMS
  • 2 Main Channels - Bridged @ 4Ω 200 W RMS
  • 1 Subwoofer Channel @ 4 Ω 400 W RMS
  • 1 Subwoofer Channel @ 3 Ω 500 W RMS
  • 1 Subwoofer Channel @ 2 Ω 600 W RMS
  • Subwoofer Channel @ 1.5 Ω N/A

Speakers: JL Audio M880-CCX-CG-WH: 8.8-inch Cockpit Coaxial System

Continuous Power Handling (RMS) 125 W
Peak Music Power 250 W
Recommended Amplifier Power (RMS) 50 - 250 W / Ch.
System Efficiency 90.5 dB @ 1 W / 1 m
System Nominal Impedance 4 Ω
System Frequency Response 38 Hz - 20 KHz ± 3 dB

Subs: JL Audio M8IB5-CG-WH: 8-inch Marine Subwoofer
  • 8" M-Series Infinite Baffle Marine Subwoofer
  • Power Handling:
    • RMS: 200 watts
  • Impedance: 4 ohm
  • Recommended power range: 50 - 200 watts RMS

Correct me if I am incorrect.
1.The sub is 4Ω and two bridged would make 2Ω. So i would have 600 watts of power which would be too much for the subs?

2. If I have 2 speakers at 4Ω each, the 2 main channels on the amp bridged produce 200 watts at 4Ω, So I should be good there?

IMAGE OF AMP

Last edited:
So you want to run 2 subs off the sub output.
You should be fine just don't turn it up all the way.
You want to run 2 speakers off the four channel section and bridge it?
You might not want to 200 watts into each speaker as the RMS is only 125 and although it can handle more in in bursts or burps not constant.
If it were me I would pick up 2 more front speakers, only running 2 in a boat that's open might not be load enough.

So you want to run 2 subs off the sub output.
You should be fine just don't turn it up all the way.
You want to run 2 speakers off the four channel section and bridge it?
You might not want to 200 watts into each speaker as the RMS is only 125 and although it can handle more in in bursts or burps not constant.
If it were me I would pick up 2 more front speakers, only running 2 in a boat that's open might not be load enough.

Sort of. Yes I would like to run 2 subs and 2 speakers.. I can definitely add two more speakers if the amp can handle it. I would just need to know exactly how to wire it up to make it work properly.

So if you bridge both sides to run the speakers that gives you 200 watts @ 4ohms
So run one speaker into one side and one into the other using the bridged outline
This will give you 4 ohms on each side
You can do this, just be mindful of your gains as the speakers on only rated for 125 watts but the product page says it can handle more.
It also says there is a passive crossover built in.
The sub output on the amp is connected internally so its mono either way you look at it
You can wire them both into separate + and - or twist them together and run them into the same + and - same difference
In any case your going to end up with a 2 ohm load

So if you bridge both sides to run the speakers that gives you 200 watts @ 4ohms
So run one speaker into one side and one into the other using the bridged outline
This will give you 4 ohms on each side
You can do this, just be mindful of your gains as the speakers on only rated for 125 watts but the product page says it can handle more.
It also says there is a passive crossover built in.
The sub output on the amp is connected internally so its mono either way you look at it
You can wire them both into separate + and - or twist them together and run them into the same + and - same difference
In any case your going to end up with a 2 ohm load

Appreciate it.. Do you suggest getting the 2 additional speakers?

Edit:
specifically the 6.5" speakers
Speaker Size 6 1/2
Tweeter Design 3/4" Dome
Tweeter Composition Silk
Woofer Composition Mica-Filled IMPP
Woofer Surround Rubber

Specifications
Sensitivity 89.5 dB at 1 watt
Frequency Response 55 - 25k Hz
Max RMS Power Handling 60
Peak Power Handling (Watts) 225