Major upgrade-itis! Need some advice on a new sub.

ten_ton_bass
10+ year member

I've recently purchased 2 Skar VVX 12's from Kevin on here and I do like them alot. They pound like a mother and crush the lows but after a month or so I find myself wanting a more sound quality set-up than what the Skars can offer.

My amp is the Skar 1500.1 so that is what I am working off of.

I am looking at doing one 15" ported and so far have been looking at

SSA Icon

Ascendant Audio Havoc

Fi Q

Now the Icon and havoc are both 1250 RMS and my Skar will put out a little over 1500 RMS so I was wondering if anyone knows if these subs can handle more than RMS daily?

The Q is rated at 1500 so thats not an issue.

I'm also open to other suggestions but I would like to stick to one 15". Thanks for any help guys.

Get the havoc. It will handle to power no prob (mine has 1600+ on it) and sound great doing it. Not sure what the difference is between it and the Q's but my havoc sounds better. No experience with the icon although I have heard pretty good stuff about them. I look at the xcon more though.

Nnot sure what I will do with the 12's. Might hang on to them for a awhile but we'll see.

Yeah I was leaning toward the Havoc and now knowing it will take that power no problem this will probably be the route I go.

What are the specs on the box you have for yours treesive? And what do you set your gain at for daily driving?

Nnot sure what I will do with the 12's. Might hang on to them for a awhile but we'll see.

Yeah I was leaning toward the Havoc and now knowing it will take that power no problem this will probably be the route I go.

What are the specs on the box you have for yours treesive? And what do you set your gain at for daily driving?

Well my havoc is the 18, so box size isn't going to work for you but here are a couple specs of it. Tuned LOWWWW.

Passband: 20-80hz

Suggested power-1500-2000W rms

Suggested subsonic filter: NONE

Dimensions: 47x20x20

As for gain, if you are talking about the amplifier gain, then it is completely system varied. I have my sundown 1500 on it most of the time and with my 2v out head unit, I have the gain high. But for learning sake, if I put it in my car with my lc7 driving my cables, I would have the gain way way down. Gain isn't a volume knob. The simplest way to do it right is get say a 40-50hz sine wave mp3, unplug the sub, and set your head unit to the highest volume you would listen to. (Best to have 2/3-3/4 on most HU) Then take a dmm and measure the output voltage from the speaker outs on your amp. This is in AC BTW. Take the channels rated rms output number and multiply by the ohm load it will see. Then square root that number and that is about the voltage you should set your amps output to. So slowly turn up the gain on the amp until you get that number. Quick way to get close but not exact science.

I have a custom made tc9 sub that will kill the lows and was built by splaudio to sound amazing its rated at 1500rms and is d2. 225 shipped brand new never seen power

20120401_184155.jpg

20120401_184256.jpg

Looks like a nice sub man. Anyone care to comment on it cause I have no idea.

I dont wanna short change myself on sound quality by getting this over an AA Havoc so I would need some honest opinions from people on here first. You understand I'm sure.

I have a custom made tc9 sub that will kill the lows and was built by splaudio to sound amazing its rated at 1500rms and is d2. 225 shipped brand new never seen power
Looks nice man! And that's a good price. OP SPL does really nice work by the way. He's got a whole thread dedicated to all his customs... And if it's based on a tc9 it'll hit them low lows.

Looks like a nice sub man. Anyone care to comment on it cause I have no idea.
I dont wanna short change myself on sound quality by getting this over an AA Havoc so I would need some honest opinions from people on here first. You understand I'm sure.
It is a nice sub. Depending on your preferences on bass (I love the lows), you might want to give some good thought to that custom tc-9 posted above or any other tc sounds sub for that matter. The havoc will sound great but IMO no sub equals a tc sub in the SQL ring (definitely not on the lows). I have tons of tc based subs, actually the one in my current sig (soundsplinter rl-p) is my favorite daily driver sub. It is also based on the tc-9 platform. To answer the previous question on box size...to do it correctly you should really have someone like pro-rabbit on here or surreal on CACO model it up in your car on your power to suit your listening preferences.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.