Mag v4 Production complete

My 2 cents... I've said it before and I'll say it again, this driver sounds GREAT. I've heard it several times and every other Mag made - for SQ, this one is the best.

And people getting wrapped up on the basket... thats just silly. Its there to hold the parts in place, and with this color scheme it looks quite good, IMO... functionally, it has all the clearance the design needs. What else do you want? To use a 12-spoke?

Perhaps they have improved in the past 10 years, but I know back then I dealt with some international engineering firms that had but bad things to say about raw steel/alum/etc coming from China. And products I saw built from reliable companies, with Chinese material, that was so substandard that the entire project was scrapped, more than once. It was my understanding that their basic refining techniques were inadequate for today's 1st world industrial quality needs.
This is not to say all material and/or products coming from China will have poor materials (or any poor aspects at all), but that was considered the norm back then, at least in my small niche of the industrial world. I use subs with baskets made in China, wouldn't even think twice about it if not for threads like this once in a while. Its a proven product, it does its job, its cheap, not much else a consumer could ask for.

All this little bit of turmoil is, is a bunch of people really wanting the Mag to live up to the expectations, and being concerned about seeing so few known parts/design features on it to fall back on as 'comfort food'. These threads will all die down when the product really hits the market and people can decide for themselves, as ignorant or as educated as that opinion may be.
Amen. Seriously, dead on there. I'm going to buy the BM's (i've said this in other posts as well) on the simple fact that Electrodynamic is backing them (they could be bright pink with big metal spikes for all I care if they sound good). He says they are good, and I believe him and where they are coming from has little to no impact on my decision. Same goes with sundownz.....if he were to switch build houses to a build house that we all thought was crappy, heard crappy things about and no one had any luck with but came on here and said "look I know they have ****** in the past but I've tested them out and they are great and live up to the quality levels that I expect" I would take it at that.

To quote tommy boy "you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a cows ass, but I'd rather take the butchers word on it" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

My 2 cents... I've said it before and I'll say it again, this driver sounds GREAT. I've heard it several times and every other Mag made - for SQ, this one is the best.
And people getting wrapped up on the basket... thats just silly. Its there to hold the parts in place, and with this color scheme it looks quite good, IMO... functionally, it has all the clearance the design needs. What else do you want? To use a 12-spoke?
Yep, the basket only plays as large a role in the design as it is allowed to. In fact, this new basket integrates alot more into it than the traditional basket styles do. I see this much like people who dislike how BL optimized drivers sound, they are use to hearing distortion so they expect it. A raw aluminum 12-spoke frame is intellectual 'comfort food' in this situation. Not saying its right or wrong, just that it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Amen. Seriously, dead on there. I'm going to buy the BM's (i've said this in other posts as well) on the simple fact that Electrodynamic is backing them (they could be bright pink with big metal spikes for all I care if they sound good). He says they are good, and I believe him and where they are coming from has little to no impact on my decision. Same goes with sundownz.....if he were to switch build houses to a build house that we all thought was crappy, heard crappy things about and no one had any luck with but came on here and said "look I know they have ****** in the past but I've tested them out and they are great and live up to the quality levels that I expect" I would take it at that.
To quote tommy boy "you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a cows ass, but I'd rather take the butchers word on it" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
The tommy boy quote is perfect, nice call. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

wOw this sub looks great to me. screw the haters. if I ever need to step down from a 15" because i get tired of my sub box taking up my whole trunk this will def be the sub I'd get

nice quote! Too bad he only got it right once in the whole movie(although, that is what made it funny). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

anyway, i have heard up and down how good the older mags are. I really really would like to have a v1-v3 mag if i could find an affordable one. It bothers me a little that they take the business to china, but what bothers me the most is that the t/s parameters are not available. That is important to a lot of people.

Anyway, i would love to have one of these, but it is out of my budget. I am sure it sounds incredible.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif:hilariou: That made my night, dang I gotta see that movie again.

It is really nice to see something different, and yes I know its not all that different but seems like the majority of woofers built lately have all been on a 12 spoke basket. Judging by the SI track record of the previous mags and how much work Nick has put into the research and design on this version along with traveling to China and visiting the build houses personally and hand picking each and every component I am pretty confident they will be exactly what he says they will be. Confident enough to purchase a pair along with many others when the first shipment arrives.

Honestly I am hoping these things live up to half the hype they have received and I shall be happy.

The key thing to note here is that we took our business to China to keep things affordable for you guys. How many other companies utilize a copper anodized pole piece for a shorting ring, offer an XBL^2 motor, shallow mounting depth, 1000 watt power handling, and tiny enclosure requirements for under $400? If we would have kept the work here in the US the time line would have been increased by at least 4 fold and the cost would have inevitably been 3x as well (around the same cost as the Aura MR series - AKA $800 / woofer).

For the people who don't care about sound quality, that's fine. Look elsewhere. But for those who want the utmost in linear, clean, output, with a good bit of output in a small enclosure, the new Mag's fit the bill perfectly. No, the new Mag's won't do 140 dB with a single woofer, but SQ isn't spelled out at 140 dB. A couple new Mag's can do that, but that's besides the point.

Take a look at Jim or Chad's review of the prototype Mag for build quality concerns. Remember our v3 Mag's? They got comments on the glue joints being so-so...and they were made right here in the US. The new Mag received only positive comments on the build quality, and it's built in China. Albeit, it's built in one factory while having parts sourced from 2 other different factories, but that seems to be besides the point for most people viewing this forum.

We've been around the block enough to have taken note of the bad factories all over the world. We have built in the US and China before and we use almost zero parts from any of the previous build houses we have used on the new Mag (except the basket - it's kinda hard to avoid that build house if you build any speaker). Each facility does what they do the best. And the best thing about it? We're doing all of this to save you money, not to make us money. We knew early on that a project like the new Mag sourced and built here in the US (which is really just assembled here in the US by companies that source everything to China) would cost in upwards of $800 per unit...even direct. Would it be cool to say "assembled in the US", sure. But no one would buy it.

The key thing to note here is that we took our business to China to keep things affordable for you guys. How many other companies utilize a copper anodized pole piece for a shorting ring, offer an XBL^2 motor, shallow mounting depth, 1000 watt power handling, and tiny enclosure requirements for under $400?
I thought the new Mag was gonna cost considerably less than $300...?
I paid not much more than $400 each for my 05 xxx 15's new, if you want to compare specs to that price. I hope you mean well under $400. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I paid not much more than $400 each for my 05 xxx 15's new, if you want to compare specs to that price. I hope you mean well under $400. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
it will be WELL under 400 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Shipped price on the new Mag v4 is $249.00

And even if it was more expensive than that, I'd put the new Mag against the XXX in sound quality in a heartbeat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif What specs did you want to compare? Xmax? Xmax-wise, no way! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif That motor is a beast - it's amazing the suspensions hold up on those drivers. The XXX is a completely different driver than the new Mag. Designed more for an SPL-generating, long Xmax, high power handling monster that can be ported or sealed (more effective when ported), it's on the far side of the oposite end than the new Mag v4 is. That doesn't really compare to a small box sealed only subwoofer. If you want to compare Le, Fs, Mms, sure, I'm game to compare. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Shipped price on the new Mag v4 is $249.00
And even if it was more expensive than that, I'd put the new Mag against the XXX in sound quality in a heartbeat. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif What specs did you want to compare? Xmax? Xmax-wise, no way! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif That motor is a beast - it's amazing the suspensions hold up on those drivers. The XXX is a completely different driver than the new Mag. Designed more for an SPL-generating, long Xmax, high power handling monster that can be ported or sealed (more effective when ported), it's on the far side of the oposite end than the new Mag v4 is. That doesn't really compare to a small box sealed only subwoofer. If you want to compare Le, Fs, Mms, sure, I'm game to compare. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
i thought you didn't know the t/s parameters....

by the way, that is a killer price on the mag

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.