Lows from 6x9s overpowered by subs

Isn't that the point of putting subs in? You might want to learn how to use crossovers. You want your 6x9's to fade out and your sub to take over at a certain frequency. Just to clarify, do you know what frequencies you are talking about?

If you want more midbass modify your doors and stick those 8's in there. Each part of your system when setup properly should play certain frequencies otherwise you have cancellation

I see. Im gonna get an active crossover soon see what happens. I dont have the right amp for the 6x9s or tweets.... The amps dont offer the crossover points i need. 6x9s arent crossed over at all, because of the amp thats running them. Only offers a lpf at 400hz.... So ill get a crossover and see how it sounds from there.

You dont think ill loose any clarity by switching to 8s in the high range do you.

PS: What im talkiing about is, the low frequenciies get drown out by the bass..... Of course my 6x9s arent crossed over and the gain is all the way down, maybe after crossing them over and upping the gain those lows will be louder.

rf t1693 6x9s. 100 watt rms a piece.

amp as far as i can tell is a sony xplod XM-GTX1852-FB-R. Says 1000watts on the top but idk. 2 channel amp. No hpf on the amp, only a lpf with a max point of 400hz. all four spekers are connected to these 2 channels, and the amp is running hot. Im getting another amp sometime.

I see. Im gonna get an active crossover soon see what happens. I dont have the right amp for the 6x9s or tweets.... The amps dont offer the crossover points i need. 6x9s arent crossed over at all, because of the amp thats running them. Only offers a lpf at 400hz.... So ill get a crossover and see how it sounds from there.
You dont think ill loose any clarity by switching to 8s in the high range do you.

PS: What im talkiing about is, the low frequenciies get drown out by the bass..... Of course my 6x9s arent crossed over and the gain is all the way down, maybe after crossing them over and upping the gain those lows will be louder.
What is your sub's crossover at? And what frequencies are you talking about? If it's less than 80Hz, that should be handled by the sub, that's why you put it in, and the 6x9's shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't hear them. Above that, your sub shouldn't be playing and your 6x9's should. Of course it's personal taste of where you want to set your crossovers, but my point is that they shouldn't be playing the same frequencies.

What is your sub's crossover at? And what frequencies are you talking about? If it's less than 80Hz, that should be handled by the sub, that's why you put it in, and the 6x9's shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't hear them. Above that, your sub shouldn't be playing and your 6x9's should. Of course it's personal taste of where you want to set your crossovers, but my point is that they shouldn't be playing the same frequencies.
Ok, the frequencies im talking about are probably betweeb 200 and 300hz. The sub crossover is lpf at 80hz. When the 6x9s play this frequency, the can barely hear it because the subs are quaking. Kinda like trying to hear a whisper over a scream. I just need the 6x9s to play the 200hz louder, thats why i mentioned getting 8's....

Do you understand exactly what im telling you.

Well, being a complete n00b, I found a hpf on my head unit...... I set it at 80hz and was a big improvement. So then i uped the gain on the amp and it sounds alot better. Could improve though.

And the frequency was actually at about 80hz. With the 6x9s playing lower frequencys before I crossed it over it was distorting this frequency.

Well, being a complete n00b, I found a hpf on my head unit...... I set it at 80hz and was a big improvement. So then i uped the gain on the amp and it sounds alot better. Could improve though.And the frequency was actually at about 80hz. With the 6x9s playing lower frequencys before I crossed it over it was distorting this frequency.
So are you considering the problem solved?

You need to learn A LOT before you attempt a proper active setup.
This. You should do some reading around here on the forum. There is a lot of info if you do some searching. Do you know the difference between active and passive?

Nah i think its far from solved. Faar. Heavy metal seems impossible to tune.... And im just not 100% satisfied.

From what I gather active is pre amp, passive is after.

And yea this forum is filled with stuff.

Any links you got with some good reads? Im getting addicted lol.

Active vs. passive is concerning the crossover network. Active is electronic, passive is mechanical.

Use the search function, and look through the sticky'd threads at the top of each section.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.