Lowest wattage amp to safely power 2x JL 12W6?

vostok4

Hey guys, I'm getting a free enclosure with 2 JL 12W6s. I'm currently drawing up the project to get the sound system put together, however my goals aren't really the loudest bass or the highest volume in the world, I'm looking for clean solid sound. I'm guessing 2 12's is overkill... but if I can power it with a low power amp and get decent sound out of it I might as well. Now, is that possible?

I'm guessing an amp like the Audioque 1200D would be good to drive these two with a healthy amount of power, but is there any amp out there that can be had for cheaper, less power output but no danger to ruining the subs?

Thanks and sorry if I'm a jong at all this, still learning.

You could run a 10,000w amp to your subs if you wanted to, just keep the gain down.

To push these subs with authority, but not over-power them, look for any amp that puts out at least 1000w @ 1 or 4 ohms, 1200w wouldnt hurt them either.

Hehe yes I'm aware on the upper end there is few limits if I'm smart about the gain, but I'm wondering more about how low can I go?

IE If I buy a 1200W amp, but I'm going to run it at 1/4 gain the entire time and never even come close to its rated power, could I get away with a 600W@1ohm amp or so?

Wtf question is this!
Is this a serious question?

No way to ruin your subs running too little power.
"Thanks and sorry if I'm a jong at all this, still learning." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

So in my line of work, running things at the low end of tolerance can introduce shortened life span of components, and I guess I thought this would apply to speakers as well.

Anyways, I've been looking all around and I don't see any sub-1000W amps that stand out in terms of reviews and "bang for the buck", so I'll either go PG RSD1200 or if I can scrounge up more funds, the Audioque 1200D.

If money is a primary concern, and warranty is not; check the classifieds here. I'm sure you could find something that'd fit the bill.

On a side note, I have zero complaints about my AQ1200d. Stays cool at 1 ohm, relatively small footprint.

There is a big difference in what you're talking about. If you run a component that is powering other devices at too low of a voltage then yes, it is sort of like a brown out and really stresses the components. (such as an amplifier) If it is just a device being powered such as a lightbulb or speaker, there is no voltage too low. I mean let's say you're running a 5000 watt amplifier. You have the subwoofer out turned down and your volume is turned down. The subwoofer is almost inaudible. Is it seeing 10,000 watts? Does the amplifier put out it's RMS power at all times? NO!!! It might be putting out only a watt or two. That is why your question was absurd.

It would be pointless to have subs of that level w/o at least 200-300w rms each.

The eclipse xa1200 at sonicelectronix for $130 would be about the bottom of the power spectrum that I'd bother with. It should do 500w rms at 4 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.