Loud, but not loud enough,what next?

MastaFlyMason
10+ year member

My car is a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant with 4 Digital Designs 1010 subwoofers (10" 600rms 4ohm SVC each) in a custom ported box, powered by a Concept amplifier that pushes 1000rms@4 Ohms. I have 0 gauge wiring running to the amplifier, I never drop below 12 volts. What is the best bang for my buck to get it louder? Would the big 3 make any difference? And is there any kind of amp that I could get that would push them better with the stock electrical? I'm not sure if the Concept puts out rated. The subs are currently wired @ 4Ohm but I can wire them down to 1, but I don't want to spend a bunch on an amp if it won't make it much louder. Thanks!

EDIT: One more thing, I got a Planet Audio crossover for free, it has a line driver built in, is there any reason i'd want to use this?

2400 rms watts powered by 1000

Try a bigger amp

I had a concept 1000 back in 05-06 it looked just like a Memphis 1000d and did ok. But I think it did 1 or 2 ohms

Get ya a 2500 rms watt amp

Make sure you have big three done, you might want to check into a H O alternator, 1/0 gauge wire to amp and you should see a great change.

And I'm going by the 600 rms you posted per sub since I have never used D-D subs

Can your amp run 1 ohm???
No, it's either 4ohms bridged @1000rms or 2x500@2ohms. I just feel like this setup should be louder than it is, some kid played me his 1 15" Orion HCCA last night on 1000rms and it was beating harder. I was thinking also there could be some kind of cancellation issue in the trunk or something?

2400 rms watts powered by 1000Try a bigger amp

I had a concept 1000 back in 05-06 it looked just like a Memphis 1000d and did ok. But I think it did 1 or 2 ohms

Get ya a 2500 watt amp

Make sure you have big three done, you might want to check into a H O alternator, 1/0 gauge wire to amp and you should see a great change.

And I'm going by the 600 rms you posted per sub since I have never used D-D subs
Well I'd rather not have to put in a HO alt is the thing, and I have 1/0 running to the amplifier. I have a PP 400rms on my mids and highs as well. Is there any amp that's better with stock electrical? And you think the big 3 would help out a lot even though I only drop to around 12v?

HiFi amps are some power hungry amps. Thats why you are dropping to 12v. How many amps is your alternator? Also, have you added a second battery?
HiFi? Are you talking about Hifonics? Because i'm running a Concept. I believe my alt is 85amps. My alternator belt squeals sometimes, but my voltage never drops so it isn't really a problem right?

You are giving your subs less than half power

You will be twice as loud with 2000 watts

You should get over 3 db just buy adding extra 1000 watts

You can add 1400 watts that would be over 3db

3db= twice as loud 10 db= twice the air pressure

I do not feel that you should be dropping into the 12s on with a 1k amp even on stock electrical. My guess is loose wire/bad connection, or improper gain setting. You cannot really run a larger amp without doing some sort of electrical upgrades. With more power the first thing is the big 3. Then a decent agm under the hood.

85 amp alt will not run a 2500 watt amp with out lots of help. Cheaper to buy H.o alt than buying lots of batts and the big 3 will help you. It's the cheapest upgrade you can do

If your dropping to 12 volts and you fix this and give the 2400 watts your subs call for, it's hard to say for sure but you could be looking at 6 db increase. That would be a whole lot louder

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.