Losing Time

whitedragon551
5,000+ posts

IL
Just out of curiosity what would cause a modern HU to lose time? Battery and alternator are fine. Wiring behind the HU is fine. Over a month it will lose like 3 minutes. Over 2 months it loses almost 9 minutes and stops losing time.

I know back in the day they used to basically have a CMOS battery in them that would keep time.

Any ideas?

Headunits definently don't use a CMOS. The point of the CMOS is to store data when the unit receives no power. Unplug the harness from your headunit and poof all your data is erased. Since the headunit receives constant power it's most likely stored in a less temporary RAM memory. Since its not the memory that's causing it, something with the actual processing is fvcked

It's not synced wirelessly like your phone is. Pretty much all clocks that aren't will drift a bit, at varying rates.

My eclipse is a bit fast. Over the course of a year it's usually about 5 minutes ahead of what my phone says.

Headunits definently don't use a CMOS. The point of the CMOS is to store data when the unit receives no power. Unplug the harness from your headunit and poof all your data is erased. Since the headunit receives constant power it's most likely stored in a less temporary RAM memory. Since its not the memory that's causing it, something with the actual processing is fvcked
Not necessarily, my 800PRS was unplugged, shipped to me, and it still had all of his processing stored.

Then that's a feature they added into the 880, which I'm not surprised since it's a high end unit
Alpine CDA decks can store data even after they have been unplugged. Now if they sit for a long period of time they will go back to default settings, how long I do not know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

whitedragon551

5,000+ posts
whitedragon551
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from