Line in vs line out on the amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

Colllosssalnoob

CarAudio.com Newbie
Colossal car audio noob here.

I have just realized that my sub's pre-out RCAs running from my headunit to the back of the car are apparently connected to my amplifiers "Line Out", and not "Line In". It is a preowned soundstream rub1.1000D. The amp powers the SA12 very well and sounds great.

1. I was just wondering if its gonna hurt anything by having my sub's RCAs connected to the amp's Line Out, rather than the Line in?
  2. Am I losing out on any "power" or sound quality? Does it affect crossover filters and such. I unconfidently think it shouldn't really matter, but I want to check with you. Thank you.

P.s. before you ask why don't I just swap the lines. I can't, I've tried. As I said it's pre-owned and it looks like there is something lodged in the "Line in" ports and I can't push the RCAs in so my only options are the two remaining "Line out".

In means from the headunit out means to another amp or source
I would switch to line in and if you have a slave master button/switch that it’s set to master
They might of broke off an rca in the in line you may be able to get it out with needle nose pliers or tweezers I’ve had to do this before

It is likely the two are just jumped (connected) internally. Obviously if it's working you didn't break anything but as was mentioned if you attempted to strap two amps you'd need to use the right in and out.

it looks like there is something lodged
If needlenose pliers do not work, I have also used a thin sharp screw to "screw" it into that hollow rca plug. But after seeing a picture of that amp, I cannot see any settings for that preout. I think "in" and "preout" are hardwired to each other. And the fact that you have full sound without issues, supports this idea. If you cannot pull the plug out, I would not worry about it.

Thank you very much for your replies.

It honestly looks like some solder. I know the guy selling it me told me he tried fixing the Line Ins, but I guess he must have ultimately gave up on that. So without thinking and being a noobster I plugged my RCAs into Line outs when I got home, and it seems to have worked? I never thought twice about what i'm doing actually until last night. The amp is set to master by the way.

Because many of you suggested Line In and Line out must be internally interconnected, that means i'm good to go either way?
As in, in the off chance my Line Ins weren't plugged, the system would sound just the same there, yeah?

Thank you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.