limitless ultracaps

Participant count
  • Participant list

Falcons
5,000+ posts

that **** i dont like
Does anyone here know if the limitless 2.7v 3000f ultracaps have balancing boards already in them? if not ill just have to get some and solder them on. just dont want to have to waste the money if i dont have to. im going to get 6 of them and end up at 16.2v @ 500f, and if necessary down the road, add another bank of 6 in parallel to bring me to 1000f. Thanks in advance.

Are a lot of folks using capacitors in their systems? I purchased one several years ago with the voltmeter attached at the top, after reading that folks were using them in their systems. After replacing a capacitor on my home air conditioner and reading the warning signs on avoiding serious shock, I chicken out. I gutted it and used it as a voltmeter instead. It looks cool, and I feel safer. LOL Just curious about how many folks use them.

Are a lot of folks using capacitors in their systems? I purchased one several years ago with the voltmeter attached at the top, after reading that folks were using them in their systems. After replacing a capacitor on my home air conditioner and reading the warning signs on avoiding serious shock, I chicken out. I gutted it and used it as a voltmeter instead. It looks cool, and I feel safer. LOL Just curious about how many folks use them.

Caps are considered more of a supplementary accessory, they don't often solve any issues unless you have major voltage spikes or drops, or are teetering on the very edge of having enough power in your system, specifically when the losses due to the internal resistance of the battery are enough to make up the difference between working and not working for you.

Something that lends to their bad stigma in car audio is that advertisers often lie about the qualifications of their caps. It's extremely common for cheap caps to have FAR fewer farads than stated on the packaging, and in those cases it's more of a penalty for the system than a gain because that voltage meter's bright segmented display probably uses more power than the cap can put out in even a short bass note. If you buy reputable caps then this won't be a problem, but reputable caps are also more expensive and generally an AGM battery replacement is better both for available power over long term and it has lower resistance at the terminals than regular lead acids, so unless your cap is very high farads it won't be able to make up as much of a difference. Technically ignoring the voltage display you'll never make your system worse by adding a cap, but more wires, more fuses, it's not necessarily worth it when an AGM battery will suffice. When it comes to heatlights dimming, well that's going to be incredibly hard to avoid because halogen bulbs have visible differences of brightness with minimal voltage drops, you'd need either a cap bank or a higher resting voltage (maybe lithium) battery to combat that effectively.

Last edited:
Stiffening capacitors and lithium cells are 2 totallllllly different things. Stiffening micro farad caps are utterly useless thedingalings aka yinlongs (some have xs power stickers over them) are lithium 35 ah and 40 ah cells there are also ultra caps or otherwise called boost caps which also vary from stiffening caps which the op is referring to

Last edited:
Stiffening capacitors and lithium cells are 2 totallllllly different things. Stiffening micro farad caps are utterly useless thedingalings aka yinlongs (some have xs power stickers over them) are lithium 35 ah and 40 ah cells there are also ultra caps or otherwise called boost caps which also vary from stiffening caps

Yep, never said they were equivalent in any way. I'm well aware of the electrical engineering behind both. No need to be triggered every time I post...

So, figured out what you're on about -- I didn't quote the OP, I quoted (and responded to) huberoy only. So next time at least read the first word of my post...

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.