Let's talk subloafers.

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey, guys. I recently just picked up an '06 Grand Prix for a commuter. I've got a Taramps HD6500 collecting dust in the closet and an alternator coming in from Mike Singer in a couple days. That being said, I want to get the ball rolling on the low-end of my build. This will be a dual 12 setup unless someone convinces me otherwise for some ridiculous reason.

My overall goals are what I would call at 60/40 setup; 60% of my goal is sound quality, but **** do I want to get loud sometimes, too.

The trunk on the Pontiac is massive: I'll use it all if I have to. So, space not being a real issue, I have a two-part question I want to talk to you guys about today.

1. What subs would you recommend in this power range that'll perform in overall output,

and

2. Would you guys suggest sealing off the trunk or rearfiring the subwoofers?

I know it's a hot topic when it comes to trunk orientation, but I've received so many conflicting answers I'm not really sure what I should do.

Any help is seriously appreciated. Thanks!

In my old grand prix subs/port back sounded the best. I did facing in, port through the deck and IB in that old car. Just make sure the box doesn't seal off the trunk completely. It will rattle like nothing you ever heard though. (Outside) I would look at dss, but your choices are pretty endless.

In my old grand prix subs/port back sounded the best. I did facing in, port through the deck and IB in that old car. Just make sure the box doesn't seal off the trunk completely. It will rattle like nothing you ever heard though. (Outside) I would look at dss, but your choices are pretty endless.
Are you referring to the Ethos line? Those have been thrown at me with options like the IDMAX, but I was curious how you guys thought the Zv4 would stack up against these options. The power handling and SPL is there, and I hear these things are some of the most linear drivers on the market. I can get a pair for a pretty decent price.

I think ZV4's use XBL^2. The IDMAX won't take that kind of power very well from my experience with it. I'd go Zv4 if it were me, although never had any experience personally just heard great things. Take it for what it's worth.

I think ZV4's use XBL^2. The IDMAX won't take that kind of power very well from my experience with it. I'd go Zv4 if it were me, although never had any experience personally just heard great things. Take it for what it's worth.
I don't think they do. I realize they're crazy-linear but I just went through the XBL^2 thread and Jacob was talking like he hadn't done much production with these style motors - yet.

I don't think they do. I realize they're crazy-linear but I just went through the XBL^2 thread and Jacob was talking like he hadn't done much production with these style motors - yet.
Sorry, you're right. I was in another thread today (prob same one) talking about the technology and for some reason got this mixed, must have been with the 6.5" he's building. -___- Carry on! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just about everyday I can't help but think people just don't have the mental capacity to function.

First off you put a ratio on Sq and spl.

Second you have a high output alt and a taramp 6500 but you want more sq?

3 you seem dead set on 12s like they offer the best sound or lowest distortion then your cocky enough to dare someone to convince you otherwise like your going to disprove them?.

Go right ahead Keep On Keepin On you know what's best.

Talk about moronic. The human race is doomed. No wonder they where able to build pyramids then we are ducking idiots now..

150db+ from 20hz-40hz... Peaks at 28hz 151db. Most impressive 2 12s I've ever heard. And you can say 20-40hz is small band width but it still plays 50,60,70hz just fine but more in the 135db-145db range. We have had this discussion like 50times... The only reason the human race is doomed is because jackwagons like yourself. All talk and no walk.

150db+ from 20hz-40hz... Peaks at 28hz 151db. Most impressive 2 12s I've ever heard. And you can say 20-40hz is small band width but it still plays 50,60,70hz just fine but more in the 135db-145db range. We have had this discussion like 50times... The only reason the human race is doomed is because jackwagons like yourself. All talk and no walk.
I refuse to argue with you. You simply lack the knowledge. Next

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.