Let's talk about starting a business and making a living in car audio.

not calling you out but a lot of people talk trash about MECP but the shops that require MECP are more likely to stay in business b/c people trust someone who shows some effort in knowing about their profession. I am pretty sure MECP installers act on the side of caution more than your kid at the corner sound shop. just wanted to point that out.
Yes and MECP installers can also screw things up just as bad, especially when costs are cut and installs are made cheaper to make more sales

not calling you out but a lot of people talk trash about MECP but the shops that require MECP are more likely to stay in business b/c people trust someone who shows some effort in knowing about their profession. I am pretty sure MECP installers act on the side of caution more than your kid at the corner sound shop. just wanted to point that out.
Knowing about their profession huh? Best Buy requires MECP, would you recommend one of your buddies have them install anything? I sure hope not. Common sense and an ability to learn is a million times more important then anything. I'm 37 now and have been installing since i was 18 and the MECP certified installers i worked with were usually my helpers. Is it helpful to have so you have a grasp on the basics of this profession? Of course it is. Does it make you a good installer? No more then going to a school to run heavy equipment teaches you how to be a finished blade operator.

Knowing about their profession huh? Best Buy requires MECP, would you recommend one of your buddies have them install anything? I sure hope not. Common sense and an ability to learn is a million times more important then anything. I'm 37 now and have been installing since i was 18 and the MECP certified installers i worked with were usually my helpers. Is it helpful to have so you have a grasp on the basics of this profession? Of course it is. Does it make you a good installer? No more then going to a school to run heavy equipment teaches you how to be a finished blade operator.

Best Buy is plug and play installs, so if that's what I was looking to get done than yes I would be more inclined to go to Best Buy than some shop that doesn't have MECP installers. MECP does not make an installer good in anyway but it does at least show that the installer is at least somewhat dedicated to learning the trade. ASE certification isn't required but wouldn't you rather the person fixing your car be ASE certified than some 50 y/o grease monkey with 2 teeth? it's just the same for the average 12v customer, they'd rather an MECP certified installer instead of some 18 y/o kid that has a flat bill on backwards with shorts 5 sizes to large hanging from his ankles and a 6XL shirt and the kid doesn't weigh more than 100lbs. I'm not promoting MECP as an end all say all but if you look at those upper echelon shops like Sonus, EAS, etc... all of their installers are MECP certified.

The problem with audio shops has always been just like this story I have. A new audio dealer opened in a town 30 miles from em not to long ago. I was in the market for some new subwoofers and a friend of mine would not stop talking about how great this new shop was and wanted me to go there and give them a chance. Well, I decided I would ride over there with him and see how things were. IMO, the shop was pretty crazy, I can understand needing to make a living at a shop because of the bills you have to pay to stay open but I'm an not paying that shop $550 each for a subwoofer I can order online for $300 with free shipping. It just isn't going to happen. So the problem is mark-up that most stores need to stay open. The internet has killed off many stores.

I could care less about shops, honestly.

The internet has made this hobby cheaper for me, and I probably know more of the technical stuff than most installers anyways.

Will never take one of my vehicles to a shop to have audio work done

Most basic shops are used to working on cars so the job "should" be faster than doing it yourself. You have shops that give other shops a bad name by dragging out the hours, doing sub par installs and over charging out the @ss for everything. If you only have those shops local to you then yeah doing it yourself, ordering online is the best way to go.

Its also unfair where there are legit shops that seriously know how to tune everything very well with professional equipment that get lumped in with these junk shops that are in it for a quick scam dollar. Once you actually talk to a few legit shops that actually price reasonably, know their **** and take pride in their work, your perspective of the "brick and mortar shop" will change.

Most basic shops are used to working on cars so the job "should" be faster than doing it yourself. You have shops that give other shops a bad name by dragging out the hours, doing sub par installs and over charging out the @ss for everything. If you only have those shops local to you then yeah doing it yourself, ordering online is the best way to go.
Its also unfair where there are legit shops that seriously know how to tune everything very well with professional equipment that get lumped in with these junk shops that are in it for a quick scam dollar. Once you actually talk to a few legit shops that actually price reasonably, know their **** and take pride in their work, your perspective of the "brick and mortar shop" will change.
couldn't agree more, problem is good shops are sparse in some places and even if you find one sometimes it's still hard to get in contact with people on a personal basis. I've had shops treat me like the normal idiot until they realize I know more than I let off. Gets pretty awkward when you mention something about a BPF and they don't know what you're talking about.

I wouldn't do it. From online sales to local car audio shops getting dried up over recent years, it's too competitive imo.

It's not easy starting a business and then try and stay/remain open for who knows how long.

If I had the money, I'd contact Zenon and get a bunch of 5k's made with my chosen company name on them. Then sell at a 25% markup with limited warranty

I wouldn't do it. From online sales to local car audio shops getting dried up over recent years, it's too competitive imo.
It's not easy starting a business and then try and stay/remain open for who knows how long.
Thats why you its just there to keep you afloat. Publicity and youtube/instagram money and merchandising is where its at. Not talking about simple flex videos but rather high quality content and info stuff along with a good bit of charisma and entertainment. Meade's making decent money off youtube alone.

Thats why you its just there to keep you afloat. Publicity and youtube/instagram money and merchandising is where its at. Not talking about simple flex videos but rather high quality content and info stuff along with a good bit of charisma and entertainment. Meade's making decent money off youtube alone.
I'm curious how many people get started on YouTube with the intent to make money on ads, Patreon donations, and the like. Most people do not have the on-screen presence and charisma to be watchable and shared to grow a channel explosively. It makes so much more sense to use social media to attract new long distance clients than to expect ad revenue to pay bills.

The problem with audio shops has always been just like this story I have. A new audio dealer opened in a town 30 miles from em not to long ago. I was in the market for some new subwoofers and a friend of mine would not stop talking about how great this new shop was and wanted me to go there and give them a chance. Well, I decided I would ride over there with him and see how things were. IMO, the shop was pretty crazy, I can understand needing to make a living at a shop because of the bills you have to pay to stay open but I'm an not paying that shop $550 each for a subwoofer I can order online for $300 with free shipping. It just isn't going to happen. So the problem is mark-up that most stores need to stay open. The internet has killed off many stores.
True but you still need a showroom if you are gonna do installs. Even a basic wall of comps and head units so people can pretend to tell the difference between them before deciding to go with the Focals instead of the JBLs. Even if you make little to nothing on the sales you still need to have all the products necessary for an install right there on hand.

I really just wanna do quality installations for a living. Local guy owns a Tahoe and wants a wall? I'm the guy to come to. Between big installs do head units and OEM integration with your run of the mill components and coaxials. I could do alarms, tint, and leather I suppose.

Something like Car Toys only not quite as large. At least not at first.

cartechnology_126111_600.jpg

And a shop in the back.

Garage050-vi.jpg

My wife could work the front counter while I'm in the shop.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.