Lead acid batt inside trunk?

Im doing an install this weekend in a camry, stock alt around 100a, big 3 will get done in 0 gauge, and the batt up front is an interstate something, not sure on specs. The guy is saving up for a YT for the trunk, but right now he wants to spend about 100$ on a second batt, are there any batteries that can be had at say autozone or walmart or etc for around 100$ that are actually safe to use inside the vehicle? What exactly are the risks with using non sealed batts in the trunk?

FYI this car will be running about 1.5kw. AP1500 and a 4 channel, maybe more like 1.8kw but im sure he wont be full tilt all the time.

the regular battery will let off gases in the trunk...if not properly vented...that will eventiually eat away at the material. usually on the back seat and carpets. Plus conventional batteries don't recharge to full capacity if driven to low. A cheaper marine battery would be your best choice but it still needs to be encloused and vented through the trunk floor. You can buy a special vented car battery for a lot of newer car batteries and just drop a vent tube through the floor...but it will still have recharge issues

Out of his price range, nvm. Hes actually looking to spend more like 50 bucks ATM lol. Hes been looking at some of the deep cycles at walmart, what im trying to figure out is what are the risks with using a flooded lead acid battery inside the vehicle? I know they generate gases and everything, but is that to an extreme amount? Or is the risk more in regards to spilling it?

I believe his car has a vent in the trunk factory, ill have to check that out. I dont have a issue with building an enclosure for the batt and venting it. I sent a message to a local on here though about some C&D batts he got off C/L here, ill see if hell let me get one for my friend for cheap.

old skool mini's had the bat in the trunk from factory.

As long as it got more vent to outside than it has to the passenger compartment it should be fine.

After years of drips of electrolyte mini's batt trays used to fall out the bottom of the trunk though... don't leave it too long before the yellow top!

Think it will be about 2 weeks before he gets paid again, he just spent almost 700 on some things for his car so he only has around 50 to spend now.
tell him to wait and save, rather than hurry up and waste money.

yeah if the trunk isn't properly vented and the gas manages to build up I've heard it can explode, although i havent verified that with any actual sources so that may not be true. I've also heard the gas is toxic for us (humans) to breathe, so if his trunk has air passages from it that lead to the cabin he might end up in trouble.

If he's getting paid in two weeks why doesn't he just wait like a normal person instead of spending money on something he's only going to keep for 2 weeks and then never need again?

No, spilling is not the major consideration, off-gassing is. And the harder he works that poor little cheap $50 batt, the more it will off-gas. Not to mention, the gas is highly poisonous. Spending $50 now because he wont wait to save $150 for a proper setup is stupid, no doubt about it. Why not really save money and use clothes hangers for wire while he is at it?

The only right way to use non-sealed batts in the trunk is to have the batt in its own enclosure that vents outside (via a tube). But the work and added expense just points back to buying the right batt the first time around. If you cant pay to play, stay on the porch and watch... or something like that.

Out of his price range, nvm. Hes actually looking to spend more like 50 bucks ATM lol. Hes been looking at some of the deep cycles at walmart, what im trying to figure out is what are the risks with using a flooded lead acid battery inside the vehicle? I know they generate gases and everything, but is that to an extreme amount? Or is the risk more in regards to spilling it?
Under normal conditions, they only generate a small amount of gas which is not harmful. Only when the charging system has a problem (charging the batt at excessive voltages etc.) is when you can generate alot of gas. This rarely happens....

No, spilling is not the major consideration, off-gassing is. And the harder he works that poor little cheap $50 batt, the more it will off-gas. Not to mention, the gas is highly poisonous.
A battery gasses mostly hydrogen. This is not poisonous to humans. The only caution is if it displaces enough oxygen you might have a hard time breathing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

I Like Waffle
North Carolina
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
smoka
1000005348.jpg