Land Rover Discovery Head Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

exxxhale
10+ year member

Does anyone know who makes a good aftermarket receiver unit for a 2001 Land Rover Discovery. The base stock unit is terrible. I am trying to find something that will still allow me to use the steering wheel volume controls and have enough power for when I toss in the amp and new speakers. Any suggestion are appreciated.

Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse, Clarion, etc.

- Steve

EDIT = May as well throw in Panasonic, Pioneer Premier, Blaupunkt, and Kenwood.

The only way I know of to be able to utilize your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket H/U is with an aftermarket adapter specific for your car. I believe PAC offers one for your Land Rover.

If you are going to be adding an amp, then the H/U's power output is really not a concern, although signal quality would be. If you are not going to be adding an amp I'd recommend look into Alpine's CDA series (Model #'s 7893 & 7894) H/U's with the "V-Drive" internal amp. It blows away most H/U internal amps in power and signal quality (that I've heard). I've also heard Pioneer's Premiere line offers excellent signal quality.

Spkrs is a whole 'nother ball game. Everyone has their favorites. Get a compoenet set by one of the major manufacturers (Infinity, Diamond, MB Quart) and you should be fine. Subs are a must. Depending on what you like... 2 - 12"'s in a ported enclosure seems to be most popular.

Hope that helps, God bless you. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There are lot's of companies that make that adapter.............It shouldn't be hard to find. They cost roughly 40-70 dollars depending on the car. The thing with those is, the head unit you buy must have a wireless remote in order for it to work so keep that in mind when you buy a head unit. From what's been said so far, I think Alpine's CDA 7893 would be perfect for you.

Thanks for that added info. I didn't think to mention it and that's kind of an "important" detail. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Glad someone's keepin' an eye on me (LOL).

I understand that installing a full system on a Land Rover requires a lot of rewiring. Is this true? Crutchfield doesn't seem to make a wiring harness for a 2001 Discovery. Anyone know where to find one? I don't know much about car audio design, I just want to do it right without spending a fortune but I haven't found a good knowledgeable installer.

Originally posted by exxxhale I understand that installing a full system on a Land Rover requires a lot of rewiring. Is this true? Crutchfield doesn't seem to make a wiring harness for a 2001 Discovery. Anyone know where to find one? I don't know much about car audio design, I just want to do it right without spending a fortune but I haven't found a good knowledgeable installer.
Any "full system" requires rewiring. If Crutchfield doesnt have a wiring harness, http://www.sounddomain.com or http://www.onlinecarstereo.com might have them. If they dont, try contacting a manufac. - such as Scorshe(sp?). The cheapest way to get your equipment in your ride is to do it yourself:) But if you are really not wanting to do that, a local shop will do it for you. Dont get Circuit City, A&b Sound, Best Buy, or Car Toys to install it for you though.

- Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.