l7's running hot....

marshallc
10+ year member

chitown
i was looking for 2-4 12's to put in my pathfinder, and stumbled upon too good of a deal to pass up, so snagged it.

my buddie had a grand cherokee and ordered a kicker loaded sub box, with 2 dual 2 l7 12's, and the kicker vented box; but lost his job shortly after and sold the cherokee off for a civic hatch.

this situation landed this never played setup in my hands for a measly 300 dollars, so i figured why not?

besides the fact that this setup is not loud enough for my taste off my kx1200; i noticed the first sub/closest one to the amp is getting rather warm while playing, and the other sub does not....

they are wired up how kicker delivered the loaded box, i even double cheked to make sure its right; 2 dual 2's wired to a 2 ohm load.

is there any rhyme or reason as to why the sub closest to the amp is getting hot and the other isnt? should i flip them around and see if it happens to the other one?

thanks

the gain is up, but not at max; and i doubt my kx1200 puts off nearly what these things want at a 2 ohm load tho

they are the new 08 l7's if that makes a difference

i checked both subs with a dmm before the install and they are spot on with where they should be...

and numba1; you must be confuzed as my setup is not forsale on craigslist.

the gain is up, but not at max; and i doubt my kx1200 puts off nearly what these things want at a 2 ohm load tho
they are the new 08 l7's if that makes a difference

i checked both subs with a dmm before the install and they are spot on with where they should be...

and numba1; you must be confuzed as my setup is not forsale on craigslist.
it doesnt matter once u start sending the current into the sub/ clipping then ure going to burn it up. did u set ure gains properly or just crank it up when you installed it?

set gains properly as in? using a dmm?

if that is so then no i did not; i simply wired everything up, set the lpf; turned the bass boost to 0 and gave it half gain for 30-45 min to break em in, then turned it up to about 3/4. my old l7 12 off a hifonics 750x1 would clip/bottom out when id set the gain to high; these havnt given me any reason to suspect that other than running hot.

I assume that they are inverted???

If the box is NOT divided into 2 chambers(one for each sub) I would check to see if the sub NOT getting warm is actually playing. This would explain why one sub gets hot and one doesn't and also why it is not as loud as it should be. Not being divided into 2 chambers would give the appearence that both subs are working when one actually is not. This would create a lot of cancellation as well also adding to the low SPL you mentioned.

Check the impedence of each coil on both subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.