L7 bottoms out.

m4i2k2e2
10+ year member

this is my chin bank
ma
i have shops check over my setting and everything. the L7 since the day i got has been ****ing bottoming out. it was in a small sealed box. now its in a 2.5 cubic foot boxed tuned @ 35 Hz. still does it. how can i test if its working properly? its a dual 4 ohm sub. i can throw a meter on it and get an ohm reading right? were do i put the meter? thanks guys. i want to get to the bottom of this ****.

I know a buddy who had this problem... he had the lpf set to ~125hz which is too high ( i set mine to 80ish) I changed his to ~85hz and made sure the ssf was at ~30hz... he had no more problems afterwards...plus he could throw ALOT more power to it... matter of fact I got him another of the same amp and he strapped them...

like i said, ive had a shop check my stuff. after i had already checked and, re checked my stuff. how do i hook a meter up do it to check for ohms?

Plug a dmm into the speaker outputs of the amp

And just because you and a shop checked the settings doesn't mean ****. Shops don't necessarily know what they are doing nor do you.

It probably is the low pass filter. Is it under 100 hertz?

like i said, ive had a shop check my stuff. after i had already checked and, re checked my stuff. how do i hook a meter up do it to check for ohms?
that don't mean crap, i know more than anyone at any of the shops in my area.

and i still learn new things every day.

just cus someone works at a shop that don't mean they know crap about car audio.

most just know enough to take your money.

your not going to bottom a sub out because the low pass is too high.

that amp only has a on/off subsonic filter set at 25hz. turn it on. See if that fixes it. Otherwise you have your amp clipping at stupid levels.

your box is tuned somewhat high. so on low notes it's prolly unloading...although i don't know how you would be bottoming out in a small sealed enclosure.

You realize that sub would have to be moving reaaally far to bottom out right?

no **** i know everyone at shops doesnt know ****. im just saying i had someone double check it. my SSF is only an on/off, its on. i had my neighbor take a look at it and, he listened to it and, said its bottoming out. its a loud vibration noise. to let you know there tough guy(i forget who it was) i dont think the shop or, me know everything. i know how to set my amp. i was just having poeple double check my work. hes never heard of setting an amp with a DMM. im far from knowing it all. i still have alot to learn myself.

just to make sure guys, what does bottoming out. mines just a vibrating noise. a real bad one at higher volumes. my amp is a refurb. my friends amp pushes it fine with no problems.

When my mids bottom out in the doors it's just like a slapping sound. No vibrating at all.

Are the boxes sealed up completely? If there's a leak it could cause the sub to overexert. SSF won't help if it's essentially playing free-air. I doubt you have 2 boxes that are both not sealed up thoroughly, but it's worth a check.

your not going to bottom a sub out because the low pass is too high.
that amp only has a on/off subsonic filter set at 25hz. turn it on. See if that fixes it. Otherwise you have your amp clipping at stupid levels.

your box is tuned somewhat high. so on low notes it's prolly unloading...although i don't know how you would be bottoming out in a small sealed enclosure.

You realize that sub would have to be moving reaaally far to bottom out right?
good point. it isnt moving very far.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

m4i2k2e2

10+ year member
this is my chin bank
m4i2k2e2
ma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date