L7 15's yes or no?

spokey9

5 time International Booty Bandit Gold Meldalist
NE AR
So I'm running a pair of american bass dx15 right now (my first system in a long long time). And while they sound alright. I keep coming back to wanting a pair of kicker L7 15". My last system got peeled about the time the square solobarics came out. I remember hearing a pair of 12" at magnolia hifi that blew away the RF series 1 18's I ran at the time. So maybe nostalgia is playing with me a bit. Are the new L7 worth the price? I won't lie and say I don't wanna be loud but I do want subs that sound clean at the same time. I'm thinking I'd run them off a cab-22. Just on the fence about paying out over a grand on subs and having a box built and finding out they ain't what they used to be 😂. Any honest info about them would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
So I'm running a pair of american bass dx15 right now (my first system in a long long time). And while they sound alright. I keep coming back to wanting a pair of kicker L7 15". My last system got peeled about the time the square solobarics came out. I remember hearing a pair of 12" at magnolia hifi that blew away the RF series 1 18's I ran at the time. So maybe nostalgia is playing with me a bit. Are the new L7 worth the price? I won't lie and say I don't wanna be loud but I do want subs that sound clean at the same time. I'm thinking I'd run them off a cab-22. Just on the fence about paying out over a grand on subs and having a box built and finding out they ain't what they used to be 😂. Any honest info about them would be greatly appreciated.
Certainly NOT worth MSRP. If you could find some in good shape used they're OK but they do require a fair bit larger box than recommended to really get loud.

Bear in mind Series 1 rockford was rock bottom entry level.

No. I owned an 8, a 12, and a 15. Never had a problem with the 12 (silver cone, maybe '04 model?). The 8 didn't meet my expectations. The 15 blew without any warning. I was happy with my 15 up until it blew. Maybe I was too hard on it; take it as you will.

I love the q class l7 15s ran 4 in a suburban

I just sold them the other day. Separation anxiety lol

Attachments

• 20220527_155217.jpg
    20220527_155217.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 22
They aren't worth the price. Small motors, require large boxes, and not a good sounding woofer.

This, typically. I kind of like kickers, but only if I’m not paying for them and they’re in a massive box. Kickers have a decently larger Sd (cone area basically). So, one of their 15’s isn’t a 15. It’s significantly past the cone area of a round 15, and the motor and suspension design just doesn’t seem to be the greatest, so they are kinda like big floppy farters, but they can get pretty loud easily in a big box. They just don’t have a powerful cone movement, and that’s usually a weak or poor motor design for the applied power levels. Musically, I’d do a big box with a fairly small port for the older ones. Except the solo x’s: big ports.

Kicker still isn’t as bad as Memphis. Memphis is one of the worst in like name related price-gouging. Both of those companies seem to do a lot in advertising, like they’re more of a giant corporate type mind state, IMO. Memphis and Orion and Massive subs all remind me of each other.

American Bass puts more effort into their designs, IMO. I really like American Bass’s woofer design. I’d get the HD’s or one of their 3”-4” coiled models and call it a day.

American Bass and Soundqubed (Audioque) and Digital Designs all seemed to share extremely similar models or philosophies, at one point. Like at a certain point, the DD 9500 and AQ HDC3 series were very similar design styles. And the AB HD used to have the exact same t/s specs as the SQ/AQ HDC3 series. All of those companies have or had a somewhat similar design style, so any of those 3 last companies make good woofers. AB and SQ are way more price friendly.

Ty for all info. I guess if I come across a dirt cheap price on a 12 l7 I'll throw it in my truck for hell of it. I'll just try again to get a decent box built for the AB I got now til I hear something that sounds like I need to have it 😂. The one I had built by the local shop started coming apart after I set my amp played bass mechanic's bass all day. So I gotta find somebody else around here.

The AB dx subs play pretty good, I have an XD and it really surprised me. I am in the middle of upgrading so I know how you feel. I never thought the L7 subs sounded good, and the box needed for a 15 was enormous. Personally I would look at other lines for that money. SSA and Incriminator make some mean stuff from what the guys running big setups on here say. Sundown also makes some good subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...