L Slot with only a couple inches after bend?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Umbra

Hobbyist & CA Tenderfoot
My brother does Pro Audio and rather than buy a $700 prebuilt with a $150 sub in it he's going to buy a serious sub and build the enclosure. He's not a DJ. I know he does a lot of sound reinforcement for live performances.

This is the sub he's looking at, a B&C 18SW115:

B&C Speakers

As per their 5.3 cuft and 35Hz tuning recommendations, here's my Torres design:

Its still in the early stages and I haven't figured out the bracing yet, so I'll have to adjust accordingly. I think I've got plenty of port area. I made the box a little bigger so I could make an L - shaped port, rather than a straight port with just a few inches from the back wall.

I know a port with too little clearance raises the tuning. Is the golden rule to put at least the width of the port's worth of space between the end of the port and the back wall? Between a straight port and an L port with only a couple of inches along the back wall after the bend, is their any advantages or disadvantages between the two? Which would you do? I floated the idea of aeros by him and he didn't seem that into it.

All I know about box design is from car audio; I don't know much about pro audio. Right now the sub and port are forward facing only because that's how the JBL prebuilt I'm using as a reference and many others has it. If there's anything I'm overlooking please let me know.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need to add 3 to the common walls on Torres since the port will be running against the top, bottom and side walls. Do that and you may need to adjust cause it will change your net cubes as well as tuning.

You'll need to add 3 to the common walls on Torres since the port will be running against the top, bottom and side walls. Do that and you may need to adjust cause it will change your net cubes as well as tuning.
Thank you, I would've most likely completely missed that.

Bump

He ordered the sub, so one way or another we're going to build a box soon. I'd really love some opinions on this though before that happens.

Subwoofer took awhile to ship, but only took a couple days to arrive once it did. It's here now. The weather's going to get crappy again in the coming days, but when it's nice again we're going to start the box.

I'd really like to get an opinion one way or another before that happens, otherwise I'll just flip a coin

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.