Kyrpt Marine Audio KMA 500.1

Shinju
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Seattle
Review of Amplifier:

This is a first part of my small review on the Krypt KMA 500.1.

The Krypt Audio KMA 500.1 is a Robert Zeff uBuy design. These share a similar design to the Arc Mini, Litebox 1 and other micro Class G/H amplifiers.

First look this is a very sleek looking little amplifier. The heat sink is a soft aluminum finish with a basic painted/etched logo on top. The look is basic and simple since most boat amplifier installs are hidden to try and protect them from the elements. Personally I think simple is more no crazy bling just a good looking heat sink design.

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

The install and adjustment features are pretty straight forward; the power terminal is a simple 4g power/ground block with Phillips head set screws. The speaker terminal is a female compression style screw down like the old PPI and Orion plugs, this terminal is not removable. I personally would have liked to see the same style of speaker plug to match the power/ground terminal but it is what it is and it works.

This is a monoblock so the crossover section is pretty simple, low pass 30-250htz, subsonic filer, bass boost and boots frequency curve. There is a port for an external remote for gain control, Subwoofer phase switch. Some of the other features are auto sense this removed the use of a remote turn on wire allowing the amplifier to turn on as soon as it gets an audio signal. There is a Preamp speaker input level switch this is not in the manual so I am not sure what it is for but I think it might be something to do with high level input though RCA patch cord packaged with the amplifier.

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

Now for the money shot, what makes this thing tick! This looks just like my Vibe Audio Litebox 1 on the inside, the noticeable differences is the crossover section has been moved to the front of the amp and the fan is in the middle of the board. The power supply looks the same and pretty robust as well as the output section. There is a very noticeable lacquer coating over the board to keep the surface mounted components from getting corroded from being out on the water since this amplifier is made for marina use this is a good thing, bad thing is that this could make repairs a pain to remove parts and cleaning up that coating if a part was to burn out. I can say that this amplifier will do every bit of 500rms at 2 ohm if not a little more. I did not take off the FET clamps due to it still being under warranty.

IMG_4913.jpg

IMG_4916.jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

Overall this amplifier is pretty well built, I like the design and aesthetics, it is small making installs much easier to plan for both marina and car applications in this amplifiers case it was produced for being on the water and every precaution to avoid moisture corrosion and damage was taken. The heat sink is pretty well closed off and only allows airflow from the bottom to allow the fan to breath to take the heat off the internals of the amplifier.

The packaging was a little less to be desired the box was plain and simple no crazy art work just the name and model on a sticker stuck to the side of the box, the amplifier was packed up nice and tight and all of the accessories tucked away nice and neat under the amplifier. The manual was easy to follow with pretty easy to understand instructions and photos to show install set up scenarios. Other then the missing information about the Preamp speaker input level switch the instruction manual was pretty dead on.

For the price I paid this was 50.00 bucks well spent, these did retail at 299.99 from Wakeboard Towers, Wake board, Wakeboarding Speakers, Boat, Underwater Boat Lights, Under water, LEDs who also is the amplifier designer and name sake Krypt Marine Audio. Unfortunately they are closing out of the KMA 500.1 they do have a 4 channel KMA 125.4 this amplifier is also the same as the Arc Mini, Litebox 4 and other micro class G/H amplifiers too.

I will power test it later on when I have more time.

I prefer wetsound amps, which are pretty much arc audio.

Ive been messing with audio pipe amps as well, and will soon try there marine series. I like there small foot print as space is usually limited in a boat. What kind of boat are you installing this in?

Can this be run at full range or x-over for high pass only? That would rock if it could, id buy two in a heartbeat.
No bypass option just lowpass only.

So after playing around with it more with some test tones and a side by side of a Litebox 1 (same amp) The Kyrpt pulls ahead just a little in output and really shines at 2ohm.

The Vibe amp is great do not get me wrong but Something tells me the Krypt 500.1 was made with better uBuy parts as you can tailor your amp build and desing with uBuy. I did not take the Vibe apart as it was not mine but I do have photos of the one I had I will post them later on but the build on the Kyrpt looks a little better.

ugh I wish my Clamp Meter wasnt broke!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Shinju

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Shinju
Seattle
Start date
Participants
Who Replied