KX2-980 Protect Mode Issue.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Recently I installed a Kole Audio KX2-980 in my '97 Buick LeSabre.

My setup worked just fine up until recently.

I check all of my connections:

Power: 4 Gauge Power Wire, no pinching good connections.

Remote: 12 Gauge, Switched (Switch Works), Internally Switched (Head Unit), good connection no pinching I could see.

Ground: 3 Foot, 4 Gauge Ground directly to frame with seat bolt, good connection no pinching.

Pioneer DEH-P8400R Head Unit

When the car is off the amp is in protect mode, removed the fuse (to break connection to the amp power in)

When the car is on with remote switch on the amp is in protect mode, with the remote switch off the amp is off.

So far I can't find out anything else to troubleshoot right off, if anyone has any ideas let me know and I'll try it.

Gain set with DMM, Long before the problem.

No shorts or signs of sparking on the outside of the amp.

Haven't looked inside.

No smell of burnt PCB, wiring, or components.

Might need to find a better ground than the seat bolt, preferably something on the actual chassis. Move that around and see what happens. Otherwise, the amp could just be effed.

I have it running at 4 ohms due to the sub I have. The only thing I could think of is maybe when I had some of the fuel lines replaced the amp shorted when being reconnected at the battery.

Well I found out that the amp wasn't working because a few components fried not sure how. Could just be out of operation temperature. I did heat the amp up about 20 degrees and it was working but no where near full power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.