KW-830BT Over Current Status Detected

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grasor

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello Everyone, first time poster here.

I've been trying to resolve an issue with my JVC KW-830BT head unit which intermittently occurs when I am running Android Auto from my Google Pixel 2 XL. It is 'intermittent' in that, I can go several days without encountering the problem, but when it does happen, it occurs frequently over and over again.

The exact error I receive reads similar to "USB Device Over Current Detected" which is displayed on the head unit's screen. The USB connection to my phone is then disconnected by the software. About 10-15 seconds later, the connect automatically reestablishes and the system runs correctly for maybe 60-90 seconds then it happens again.

I've updated the head unit to the most recent firmware from JVC's support site. I've replaced the phone over a year ago and I've I've factory reset the current phone. I've tried three different cables including high quality Anker and, currently, an expensive cable purchased from a Verizon Store. I've called Crutchfield support, whom I purchased the unit from, and they said they weren't sure and that I could mail the unit in while it's still under warranty. I also called JVC Support and they suggested I send it in as well. JVC suggested I 'try a different phone' but I don't have access to a different phone for several days. JVC also claimed the Pixel 2 was "an older phone" but it was brand new when I bought the head unit... Both said they would need to be able to reproduce the issue for the warranty to work.

Before I pull my head unit and send into the shop, can anyone offer any other advice? I'm coming up dry on internet searches, which makes me think this is not a common issue. What does that error actually mean? The phone should be observing USB power standards but I've no way to measure that. Again, only seems to happen when Android Auto is running.

Thanks,
G

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...