knicked surround

goose5741
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I was looking at buying a 12 inch sx from a guy on these forums, it has a knick in the surround, my concern is the knick will keep ripping/get bigger, do i need to be worried and is there anything i can do.

Also is just one sx in a sealed box gonna have that much spl, (1000-1200 watts to it). Or do i want to build a ported box for it??? Thanks guys.

Go to your local winshield repair store and they have the glue that is used to reglue a replacement windshield into place. That stuff is excellent to smear on the BACK of the surround where the knick is. Not too thick, maybe 1mm or so and extend it about 3/4" radius around that knick. You should never have a problem after that as long as the surround is not ramming into an object any longer. Good luck with it and I hope you enjoy your new sub.

^^ i think there is only 1 big/noticable knick, he just took lots of pictures of it from diff. angles. Although i think there is a smaller one on the other side too. The reason i am asking this is becasue a week ago in another forum some guy was talking about how he had a little knick in his 12w7 surround and in about 2 weeks it had turned into a 6 inch gash.

^^ i think there is only 1 big/noticable knick, he just took lots of pictures of it from diff. angles. Although i think there is a smaller one on the other side too. The reason i am asking this is becasue a week ago in another forum some guy was talking about how he had a little knick in his 12w7 surround and in about 2 weeks it had turned into a 6 inch gash.

Exactly why id be skeptical about it, you could always buy it for a decent amount off original price and then get it reconed by Re.

What i am paying for it i could prolly get it reconed if i absolutly had to and still wouldn't be paying over price for a new one plus i get a pretty nice (sealed unfortunatly) box which if i don't like i know i could sell pretty easy. Hopefully i can just glue it and it'll be fine like everyone says. THX for the advice guys.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.