Kicker SX650.1 having major issues; Any Repairers around?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BumpinImpala
10+ year member

Hi all,

I have a older Kicker SX650.1 that I've had for a few years and bought used years ago. I believe it's the 04 model, but no idea. It has worked great over the years, but it recently started giving me issues.

To start with, no sound output. It would turn on, but there wasn't any sound. I hooked it up to my iPod rather than the cd player, and still nothing.

I unhooked it to see what the internals looked like, and everything seemed okay. No scorch marks, no bad smells, no loose connections. So I decided to hook it back up.

Then it wouldn't turn on at all. Another problem that happened around this time is my battery died, as a result of a crappy alternator. I haven't hooked it back up since. (I replaced the battery, but I still need to get a better alternator, and the Big 3 done.)

Anyone had similar problems with their SX series amps? I love the amp, but I'm looking to upgrade to a different setup soon (I currently have a Kicker L7 12", and 2 12" Image Dynamics IDQ's, but looking into getting an IDMAX, FI Q, or a Skar Audio 12...I need something that goes LOW), but I'd like to get this amp fixed soon. If not, I'm going to trade it for something different. My 3 year old daughter asks me daily 'When we get the doom,doom,doom back?!', and I want to make her happy. I never listen to it loud with her in the car, just on low volumes with the bass turned down but the kid can't get enough. Little basshead in the making! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks everyone for any input you have!

Lex

Just a quick update (almost 200 views and not one comment? What the hell?!) -

Took the amp cover off and decided to switch the LCD / FAN plugs to see if there was any difference, since I figured maybe the LCD panel was broke or a light blew or something similar.

Switching the Fan to the LCD made the amps fan turn on, but no LCD screen again //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/pissed.gif.9f665f96bc89e98e708dabd4580bb591.gif

Taking it over to a local stereo store in Dalton,GA in the next few days to see what they can figure out. Honestly, if the amp ends up working I will probably keep it since I love being able to fine tune it. If not though, chances are I will trade up. Looking to go for a Obsidian 15, IDMAX, or Skar Audio 15. Only problem is I doubt that amp will push any of those that well (With the exception of the IDMAX, and probably the Skar), hence the reason for a new amp.

I've been meaning to find something that loves lows, and can crank them out with right around 1000 watts or so. The IDQ's I have get loud with only 325 watts a piece, and like the lows, but just don't get loud enough with the amp I currently have.

Anyhow, felt like giving an update for anyone who cared //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Lex

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.