• Participant list

maylar
10+ year member

Electrical Weenie
Connecticut
Review: Kicker Resolution series RS5 Component set

Installation: Custom install in the front doors of an 85 Olds Delta 88

Price: Paid $85 on eBay

My car didn't come with any speakers in the doors, only 6X9's in the rear deck and 3.5's in the dash. I custom cut a spot in the doors, and 5.25" was the biggest I could fit.

My amp is 65 watt per side, 2 channels of a USX 4065. The speakers I had for about a year were Infinity Kappa coaxials, so that's my reference point. I wanted more midbass and power handling, so I bought the RS5's.

Kicker's build quality is excellent. The package comes with everything... screws, wire, and connectors. There is mounting hardware to put the tweets coaxially with a special grille, or surface or flush mount. I went the coaxial route.

First thing I noticed is the midrange. The Resolutions are bright and clear... in-your-face clear. Vocals and instruments really stand out, especially brass. The tweeters are wonderful- crisp and high without the slightest harshness. The crossover has adjustable tweet level, and -1.5dB works for my tastes.

These speakers can take some power. My coaxials were hipassed at about 70 Hz and powered up to maybe 40 watts. With the RS5's I was able to lower the hipass down to almost 50Hz, and push the USX amp to its limit.

The midbass? Sweet. For 5.25 inchers, these are hard to beat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

maylar

10+ year member
Electrical Weenie
maylar
Connecticut
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies